PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the canonical ship Ubuntu dvds?

praveesh
August 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Now,the cost difference between a cd and a dvd is very small. So I wonder why the canonical don't ship Ubuntu dvds (with a lot of softwares which can be installed if the user wish.may be an install dvd cum repository dvd )through their shipit service. I don't have a fast internet and it's difficult for me to get the codecs and other softwares I need. So does many of my friends. If the dvd already contain the extra softwares(restricted codecs need not be included), it would be a great boon to us. Even if I decide to buy a dvd from amazon, atleast for me, the price is huge. In dollar, the price may not be huge, but when converted to rupee(Indian currency) it's huge.

bodyharvester
August 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
i still think its pretty amazing that i got my ubuntu 9.04 cd for free from the shipit thing

there are so many coffee shops/public libraries/pubs/universities which offer free wifi access i dont think access to codecs is a problem for many people, even if it is slow atleast its easy, imagine using windows and having to update everything by yourself and how long it would take. you have it easy compared to Windows users.

i dont know how big the reps are or how often its updated, if you can quantify those, but its unlikely you could fit what people wanted onto a dvd

my 2 cents

Nburnes
August 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
The don't ship DVDs because alot of older hardware doesn't have a DVD drive, only a CD drive.

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
It would be nice if one DVD had K/X/Ubuntu.

bodyharvester
August 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM

+1

that kind of choice would be cool, with a pic comparing KDE 4.3 to Win7 as ive seen in a sig somewhere KDE 4.3 makes Win7 look like a joke

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
The don't ship DVDs because alot of older hardware doesn't have a DVD drive, only a CD drive.

Darn! Beaten to it!

And in recent months I've noticed that some of the magazines down at my local bookshop come with CDs/DVDs that have a copy of Ubuntu on it. My first exposure to Puppy Linux was through such a magazine.

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
i agree with you, praveesh, it would be nice if Ubuntu did that in order to accomidate people not born in nations where everyone is automatically wealthy and in posession of high speed internet.

but we need to remember that Ubuntu is backed by a company that claims to be after money.

niteshifter
August 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
but we need to remember that Ubuntu is backed by a company that claims to be after money.

So what? Everyone is after money. Before you say no - monetized just means using tokens (dollars, yen, etc.) as a substitute for the direct exchange of labor (barter system).

-grubby
August 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I dunno, why don't the Canonical doesn't do that?

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Just so you know. Ubuntu is built pretty much the same as Debian and the Debian Lenny install came on 5 DVDs. Gets more expensive quickly compared to one CD.

t0p
August 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Distros keep getting bigger and bigger, it may be just a matter of time before Canonical will have to send DVDs or close down Shipit.

A month or so ago I downloaded the Backtrack 4 pre-final, and it came to over 800 MB. Luckily I had a USB flash stick I could use, as it wouldn't fit onto a 700 MB CD. No doubt a future version of Ubuntu will soon exceed 700 MB, at which time Canonical will have to make a decision: DVDs or no Shipit. And it would be a shame if Shipit closed down.

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Distros keep getting bigger and bigger, it may be just a matter of time before Canonical will have to send DVDs or close down Shipit.

A month or so ago I downloaded the Backtrack 4 pre-final, and it came to over 800 MB. Luckily I had a USB flash stick I could use, as it wouldn't fit onto a 700 MB CD. No doubt a future version of Ubuntu will soon exceed 700 MB, at which time Canonical will have to make a decision: DVDs or no Shipit. And it would be a shame if Shipit closed down.

Or 2 cds...

You gotta realize the cost to shipit also comes in the form of burners. How many you think they use? I bet its alot. Also: Time. A CD burns in 3 minutes, DVDs are several times as long.

praveesh
August 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
Or 2 cds...

You gotta realize the cost to shipit also comes in the form of burners. How many you think they use? I bet its alot. Also: Time. A CD burns in 3 minutes, DVDs are several times as long.

The cost of a DVD is less than two cds. More over, if an option for choosing a dvd or cd is given, the problem of dvd drive less computer can be avoided. But I think the speed difference between writing a dvd and a cd may be the big deal.

praveesh
August 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM

yes. I remember getting such a dvd of intrepid along with a linux for you magazine from a library. I installed it . But when rebooted,the grub contained only the windows and the memory test.