PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What's the current status of .cue support ?

Major_Kong
August 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Is there a linux audio player offering reasonable .cue support ?

Major_Kong
August 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'll take that as a no.

pprjack
January 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Well THIS is a real sorry situation. Do you mean to tell me that Linux registers a FAIL at such a basic task as playing a .flac encoded audio file with either external or embedded .cue sheet? How hard can it be!!?

I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised as I have yet to find a dedicated audio player that I liked as much as I liked foobar 2000 on the dreaded WinDoze platform.

Linux users apparently don't like music.

Artemis3
January 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
This has nothing to do with linux but with the audio players. I know some do, some don't, for example Audacious and Amarok do. If both the audio and cuesheet are inside a compressed file, it can get a little messy. I suggest you also try foobar2000 0.8.3 with Wine, set output to WaveOut.

Is it a fail? i guess partially. Developers seem too busy trying to make iTunes clones and forget players should play a simple list and stay out of the way, with support to all possible audio format combinations first and do the bells and whistles later. This of course clashes with the view that "players" should organize, tag, download lyrics, sync with ipods, rip cds, wash your dishes, etc, etc, etc. Even fb2k which started simple is leading that way nowdays.

MPD looks promising, i just found a single (web) client which claims cuesheet support: MpdCueSeek. Perhaps others do but don't mention it... Would be nice if they also supported Replaygain and gapless playback; you know, the basic stuff... Cuesheet is a requested feature in the mpd wiki, and apparently there is even a patch for the server.