PDA

View Full Version : After battlestar Galactica, which one I should go, Stargate SG1 or Stargate Atlantis

legolas_w
August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hello everyone.
I watched the Battlestar Galactica and it was awesome :Dit was way better than Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Now, I want to go with one of stargate series, I can either choose SG-1 or Atlantis. What I a expect from these TV series are:

- some arcs
- good special effects
- many different rances being involved
- good action scenes.

Which one you think is better to start get? SG-1 or atlantis?

Thanks.

Kimm
August 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Since Atlantis is a spinoff of SG-1, I'd suggest starting with SG-1, but you can start watching Atlantis after you get to about season 8 in SG-1 (actually, when the Atlantis team leaves for atlantis in SG-1 :P)

JillSwift
August 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
it was way better than Star Trek Deep Space 9.
"Damning with faint praise." ;)

starcraft.man
August 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
The answer to your question is Babylon 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5). One of the greatest space operatics ever, very much in vein of the new BSG. Although less gritty realism and more simply an expertly woven tale of science fiction. And if your wanting arcs, they have arcs, practically every damn episode has something to do with some arc under development right over all 5 seasons. It's like a book, except it comes in 110 instalments. It doesn't have all the fancy effects (see year made), but good writing much more important.

SG1 is also a good show, but in my opinion, not up to the same level. Still a lot better than most of the garbage on TV. That also is faint praise as I suppose jill would pick me on :).

TBOL3
August 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Agreed, Babylon 5 is amazing, and almost the entire series is an arc. With that being said, I really didn't like season 5 of Babylon 5.

Given only SG1 and Atlantis, it looks like you would like Atlantis more, it has more Arcs (SG1 has them too, but they are much more intricate, and seasons can go by before they continue on the same arc, this is do to the writers originally just writing monster of the week storied, and than realizing that they had to actually create a pseudo mythology, and even then they just made it up as they went along). Still though, SG1 IMO is a good series, and Atlantis is the spin off of it.

starcraft.man
August 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Agreed, Babylon 5 is amazing, and almost the entire series is an arc. With that being said, I really didn't like season 5 of Babylon 5.

Given only SG1 and Atlantis, it looks like you would like Atlantis more, it has more Arcs (SG1 has them too, but they are much more intricate, and seasons can go by before they continue on the same arc, this is do to the writers originally just writing monster of the week storied, and than realizing that they had to actually create a pseudo mythology, and even then they just made it up as they went along). Still though, SG1 IMO is a good series, and Atlantis is the spin off of it.

I didn't mind last season, I do think that some of the best episodes were in the middle. Isn't that the way with most things though? At beginning it's just set up. and at end, it's a wrap tying all arcs together and completing them.

Still haven't really watched Atlantis so can't comment on it really. Will agree early SG1 was more haphazard then later. Stracynzki by contrast, really had the whole of Babylon penned in his head I imagine as he was writing, makes it feel much tighter like New BSG.

cariboo
August 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
There is also another Stagete spin-off coming in October. Stargate Universe.

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I don't know what you mean by lots of arc?

Have you considered Farscape?
It may look a bit weird in the beginning, but it is really good.
Babylon 5 is a classic, but the effects are a bit outdated today.
Andromeda also has its moments.

SG1 is in general a better series than Stargate Atlantis.
Atlantis starts off really good, unfortunately they can't quite keep it up.

hanzomon4
August 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone.
I watched the Battlestar Galactica and it was awesome :Dit was way better than Star Trek Deep Space 9.

What!??! DS9 was the best especially once the captain went bald, but anyway.... SG1 you can find season 1 through 6 on hulu

joey-elijah
August 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't know what you mean by lots of arc?

Have you considered Farscape?
It may look a bit weird in the beginning, but it is really good.
Babylon 5 is a classic, but the effects are a bit outdated today.
Andromeda also has its moments.

SG1 is in general a better series than Stargate Atlantis.
Atlantis starts off really good, unfortunately they can't quite keep it up.

Totally agree. And by "really good" you actualyl mean FREAKING FANTASTIC. By the time it gets to the mini-series you'll be blown away.

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Totally agree. And by "really good" you actualyl mean FREAKING FANTASTIC. By the time it gets to the mini-series you'll be blown away.

You are putting words in my mouth, but that's OK, because you are right. :)

Again: What's this "lots of arc" thing people keep on about???

dmizer
August 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Again: What's this "lots of arc" thing people keep on about???

http://coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com/2009/08/fiction-thursday-story-arc.html

Rather than having lots of largely unrelated sub-plots to keep a story interesting (many lengthy series use this technique), BSG had a clear beginning, climax, and denouement.

Though I enjoyed SG-1, I don't think it really falls into the "lots of arc" category. While the series did follow a general plotline, I don't think it was really all that cohesive. It was more of a "peril of the week" thing.

Also, I was extremely disappointed in SG-1's final season.

TBOL3
August 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Agreed, SG1 season 10 was horrible. And yes, SG1 really did start out as monster of the week, and they just went from there. Later in the series the writers just thought, 'oh, this monster from season 2 was cool, let's bring it back, and combine it with this new thing'. Except that I thought they actually did it beautifully (beautify in so much that it was cool to watch, not that it actually made sense, as they broke all of their rules so many times throughout the series).

I didn't mind last season, I do think that some of the best episodes were in the middle. Isn't that the way with most things though? At beginning it's just set up. and at end, it's a wrap tying all arcs together and completing them.

Still haven't really watched Atlantis so can't comment on it really. Will agree early SG1 was more haphazard then later. Stracynzki by contrast, really had the whole of Babylon penned in his head I imagine as he was writing, makes it feel much tighter like New BSG.

Um, no, not really. Yes, Babylon 5 was originally supposed to run for 5 seasons, but part of the way through season 4, tnt said your done, we're not going to renew it. So Stracynzki rushed to get all of the major plot lines crammed into the forth season, putting a few things in movies. Right after they filmed the last episode, sleeping in light, tnt decided to renew it, so they had to slap another last episode on their, and push Sleeping in Light for season 5. IMO season 5 could have been much better if it was intertwined with the last half of season 4, which was pushed too fast (where as not quite enough stuff happened in season 5).

With that being said, what on earth is it with Stracynzki's writing, what was supposed to be the thirds spin of series "legend of the Rangers" fails especially, because the back story is almost identical with the shadow war, lame, imo.

BuffaloX
August 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
http://coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com/2009/08/fiction-thursday-story-arc.html

Rather than having lots of largely unrelated sub-plots to keep a story interesting (many lengthy series use this technique), BSG had a clear beginning, climax, and denouement.

Thanks, I like a combination of both then.

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Atlantis is far more action/adventure.

SG-1 is about seeing and experiencing new cultures as if they were allowed to develop to the modern day, as well as how military minds would realistically handle the concept of alien entities and space travel. SG-1 has NO earth space ships for like the first five seasons.

lethalfang
August 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Atlantis is far more action/adventure.

SG-1 is about seeing and experiencing new cultures as if they were allowed to develop to the modern day, as well as how military minds would realistically handle the concept of alien entities and space travel. SG-1 has NO earth space ships for like the first five seasons.

Yet, the same 2 dudes, a woman, and an alien carrying submachine guns and a glorified taser defeating advanced alien armadas with spaceships time after time each week gets really boring after a short while.

MikeTheC
August 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'd second the earlier posters' recommendations about Babylon 5. It is without a doubt my absolute all-time favorite sci-fi tv series.

FWIW, the season box sets periodically go on sale at places such as SAM's Club and others for $20 (where normally they're the best part of about $50). And trust me, at $20 a season, it's well worth it.

BIG MAJOR FYI to B5 fans and other interested hopefuls:

This is one of the absolute best, most comprehensive resource sites (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html) on the Internet for all-things Babylon 5-related.

Warpnow
August 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Six seasons of Sg-1, and two of Babylon 5 are available on Hulu.

Edit: Also, I work at Wal-mart, and we have Sg-1 seasons on sale for $15.

lovinglinux
August 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Nothing available on the screen right now can replace Battlestar Galactica :(

That being said, I also vote for Farscape.

starcraft.man
August 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Um, no, not really. Yes, Babylon 5 was originally supposed to run for 5 seasons, but part of the way through season 4, tnt said your done, we're not going to renew it. So Stracynzki rushed to get all of the major plot lines crammed into the forth season, putting a few things in movies. Right after they filmed the last episode, sleeping in light, tnt decided to renew it, so they had to slap another last episode on their, and push Sleeping in Light for season 5. IMO season 5 could have been much better if it was intertwined with the last half of season 4, which was pushed too fast (where as not quite enough stuff happened in season 5).

With that being said, what on earth is it with Stracynzki's writing, what was supposed to be the thirds spin of series "legend of the Rangers" fails especially, because the back story is almost identical with the shadow war, lame, imo.

Aye now it comes back to me, I remember that. What a shame, it's always the good shows that get shafted and problems with ratings. Like Fry said on Futurama, people don't wanna see anything original, they just want to see the same thing they seen before 1000 times over. Feel like epic failure forgetting that at the time. As to movie, don't ask me, was kinda crappy compared to other stuff. Same with Crusade. Babylon was magically, and the attempts at spin offs never really struck the same chord.

Matthewthegreat
August 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
the answer to your question is babylon 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/babylon_5). One of the greatest space operatics ever, very much in vein of the new bsg. Although less gritty realism and more simply an expertly woven tale of science fiction. And if your wanting arcs, they have arcs, practically every damn episode has something to do with some arc under development right over all 5 seasons. It's like a book, except it comes in 110 instalments. It doesn't have all the fancy effects (see year made), but good writing much more important.

Sg1 is also a good show, but in my opinion, not up to the same level. Still a lot better than most of the garbage on tv. That also is faint praise as i suppose jill would pick me on :).

+1

Frak
August 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
it was way better than Star Trek Deep Space 9.

I hope you can back that up sir. There are going to be a lot of angry fans because of this blatantly wrong and biased accusation.

^^Joke

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
DS9 was good. Voyager was a shitheap.