PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] partition manager not showing full hard drive

RabbitWho
August 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Here's my situation, yesterday I tried to install kubuntu 9.4 but as my dongel (and I take it most dongles) is not supported and I can't connect to the internet I said I'd go with 8.10.
When I deleted 9.4 i did so through windows "manage" and the next time I restarted I got a grub error.
I solved this problem thanks to some archive advice in another thread.
Now I'm installing 8.10 and I'm on the partition screen. My hard drive has 320GB in it and it's only showing 60. This is the amount I left windows the last time I did a kubuntu install, and now it's sugesting I give winodows 30GB and Kubuntu 30GB and I'm t hinking... where is the rest of it gone?

Help very much appreciated.

RabbitWho
August 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I possibly may have figured out the root of the problem, but I still need help on how to fix it.

I booted back into Vista and looked at system management again, the partition for the kubuntu installation i deleted before is still there but written as "free space"
I can right click and delete it, but a warning comes up saying blah blah blah, if you do this "it may become inaccessible"

Is this what I should do? Is the computer still reserving all this free space for something?

Edit: there's an option that says
"Guided; use largest available free space"

Will that put the new instillation of kubuntu into this free partition i was talking about? There doesn't seem to be a way for me to check, the next screen is choosing computer name etc.

Edit: Went with that, twas fine. New problem (still related):

How do I uninstal 9.4 now?

My main problem is connecting to the Internet still, but that's for another forum.

RabbitWho
August 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Bump:

I'm connected to the internet and all that's fine.

I'm still left with the problem of how to get rid of the failed instillations of kubuntu.

One of them is of 9.4 which I gave up on and the other is a 8.10 that I managed to.. and this is lovely.. delete my sudo password for.

In the vista manager they're not named anything, there's (i think) 7 partitions now. It comes with a few already, and hopefully (if it worked) i made a separate partition for GRUB.. Is there anyway to identify all the partitions on the hard drive?

And after i manage to get rid of those two extra kubuntu installs.. it sure would be cool if I could absorb that space back into this install of kubuntu...

downloaded filelight and here's some information:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/catharsisky/Untitled-1.jpg

I'm confused now, it looks like the one on the bottom right is my current kubuntu install.. but the one on the top left should be