PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to remove an entry from rEFIt-menu?

produnis
August 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi folks,

I use rEFIt to choose which OS to boot.
After a fail-install of Linux, I now have 3 entries in the rEFIt-boot-menu:
1) OSX
2) Linux1 #(fail version)
3) Linux2 #(working version)

Is there any chance to remove the fail-version from the rEFIt-menu?
This version does not exist at my HDD (as I installed the "working version" over it)
and I cannot boot from it....
...so I don't need it and like to get rid of it...

produnis
August 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
ah, this is a duplicate of that one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7828260#post7828260

charliehorse55
August 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't used refit in a while, but I remember on the mac partition there was a folder called rEFIt, and inside it had configuration files. Look at the text files in there. One contains a list of possible startup options. you should be able to edit a file to fix this issue.

Remember to backup the file, in case something goes wrong!

produnis
August 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
thanks for your answer, but rEFIt does not write anything into the conf.files.
It looks up on the fly which boot-devices/partitions are available...

Tu1J4kXk8NUhMz
August 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I had this same issue. Try this out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811240

rEFIt actually accesses a pre-written MBR file. I'm not entirely sure how or when it's written, but it can harbor some old installs from time to time. It is not quite as easy as charlie's option, but I know this one works as I've used it before for basically the same situation.

Dabberrific
June 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
My initial install of Ubuntu I set to boot from EFI partition by accident. Now I have two Linux icons, one to boot from EFI and one to boot from partition 4 (correct partition).

I want to get rid of the boot linux from EFI option as that doesn't work.

I have tried replacing the MBR with a dummy as suggested...that didn't work. I tried using a sudo dd command to erase the first 440 bytes of the MBR (where grub loader is) that didn't work. I tried removing and reinstalling rEFIt, that didn't work.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

George Wade
June 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
My initial install of Ubuntu I set to boot from EFI partition by accident. Now I have two Linux icons, one to boot from EFI and one to boot from partition 4 (correct partition).

I want to get rid of the boot linux from EFI option as that doesn't work.

I have tried replacing the MBR with a dummy as suggested...that didn't work. I tried using a sudo dd command to erase the first 440 bytes of the MBR (where grub loader is) that didn't work. I tried removing and reinstalling rEFIt, that didn't work.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

When I had a problem I just trashed the rEFIt config, reinstalled rEFIt and it worked. It isn't self correcting...