PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Package locations not found in newly installed 9.04

Arndt
August 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have just installed Jaunty Jackalope (9.04) on my laptop, from a CD which I burned on another computer. This works fine, as far as it goes, it's what I'm using right now. Now I'd like to install Java, but the synaptic package manager doesn't find any such package. /etc/apt/sources.list doesn't seem to miss anything, but I'm not an expert. The update manager has already detected and successfully installed new updates for existing software, so it does find some repositories.

How do I make the package manager find Java?

Partyboi2
August 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and try installing it with

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre or

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin depending on which one you want. If it can not install the package, could you post your sources.list

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Arndt
August 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and try installing it with

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre or

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin depending on which one you want. If it can not install the package, could you post your sources.list

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Thank you, this worked. And now synaptic shows me a whole lot of packages if I query it for "java", not just the ones I fetched. Strange, but problem solved.