August 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
You can tell his kids love him.

pwnst*r
August 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
wait, wut.

.Maleficus.
August 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Child abuse? That looks like hella fun!

Though I will admit, I was kind of nervous when he first grabbed her arm and leg and tossed her up. That's a pretty good way to pull limbs out of their sockets.

swoll1980
August 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
If that's child abuse, I'm very abusive to my son.

bodyharvester
August 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
there should be classes teaching their parents how to do stuff like this

chucky chuckaluck
August 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
hm, i might have to try that flip on mrs. chuckaluck.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
hm, i might have to try that flip on mrs. chuckaluck.

You're a dude?

mystmaiden
August 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
you can tell those kids were having a blast

blithen
August 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
If that's child abuse, I'm very abusive to my son.

The first step is admitting it. :P

Honestly though that's awesome.

swoll1980
August 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
You're a dude?

Why would you think he wasn't?

SoftwareExplorer
August 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
That looks like fun! Unluckily, I think I'm to heavy to be thrown like that anymore.

JillSwift
August 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Why would you think he wasn't?
Setting aside for a moment that Chucky is in fact a dude... Why does having a "Mrs. Chuckaluck" necessarily mean he's a dude? I've had a "Mrs. Swift" in my life, and I'm no dude.

So many assumptions, so little time. ;)

chucky chuckaluck
August 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
You're a dude?

i can cover both.

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Why would you think he wasn't? I don't know to be honest.....

Setting aside for a moment that Chucky is in fact a dude... Why does having a "Mrs. Chuckaluck" necessarily mean he's a dude? I've had a "Mrs. Swift" in my life, and I'm no dude.

That's your problem.

i can cover both.

Ummm?

chucky chuckaluck
August 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
while it's not a total certainty, it's reasonable to assume i'm a guy if i refer to the other half as "mrs." (although, i just realized that could be my mother, too. i don't think i'll be flipping mom in the air anytime soon.)

swoll1980
August 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM

No. Mrs. Means that it's your wife. So no.

PurposeOfReason
August 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
No. Mrs. Means that it's your wife. So no.
You do realize lesbians can get married right? Username JillSwift.

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Back on subject, that guy is being a good father. If the kids were crying the whole time or if he was tossing them up and stepping back to watch them hit the floor, that would be child abuse.

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM

Only until the next Republican takes office.

RabbitWho
August 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
i can cover both.

in what?

nomnomnom
August 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
in what?

That's just asking for trouble....

RabbitWho
August 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Only until the next Republican takes office.

They've been getting married for years and they'll continue no matter what the law says!

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
I wish some of the anti-abuse extremists here in NZ would see something like this.

I dislike abuse as much as the next person, and get just as peeved by the extremists at both ends of the political spectrum. Some of the anti-abuse stuff out there is just plain stupid: the clip is good.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
swinging a child like that is very risky

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM

I've seen that "stop drinking" commercial too & hear you.

Xzallion
August 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
This video is adorable, I hope I treat my kids like this.

koleoptero
August 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
wait, wut.

+1

i can cover both.

:-k

Torgas Prim
August 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I miss those days when my dad gave me Helicopter rides like that. So does MY son. Seems like a fun dad.
What's next? Women cannot bear children because it is too stressful for the baby>!?!?!?

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
You can tell that he really loves the time he spends with his kids. He reminds me of every good dad I've ever seen. Look how much fun his kids are having. Cute.

swoll1980
August 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM

Really? Here in Ohio they can't. Which states have same sex marriage?

Add: Just checked it out. Only 4 states allow that sort of thing, and the ones that don't, do not recognize those marriages. Since I'm from Ohio I guess same sex marriage doesn't exist.

swoll1980
August 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM

So is putting a child in the back seat of a car, or letting them ride a bike. or letting them eat, for that matter.

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
So is putting a child in the back seat of a car, or letting them ride a bike. or letting them eat, for that matter.

There's a TV commercial here in New Zealand aimed at discouraging drinking (or at least being a responsible drinker, whatever that means), where a drunk guy does the helicopter thing with a child and accidentally lets go. I'm not sure if that was what KiwiNZ was referring to.....

edit: link http://www.hadenough.org.nz/Media.aspx

SoftwareExplorer
August 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
There's risk to everything in life. I can assure you those kids will look back on this fondly when they are older.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Also their muscles and ligaments etc are not properly formed the risk of dislocation etc is very high.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
There's risk to everything in life. I can assure you those kids will look back on this fondly when they are older.

Good parenting also means mitigating needless risk

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM

There's also this commercial (finally tracked down a decent link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtREJQgws7w

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Also their muscles and ligaments etc are not properly formed the risk of dislocation etc is very high.

kids are pretty supple. you or i would be more likely to get injured if the big guy did that to us.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
kids are pretty supple. you or i would be more likely to get injured if the big guy did that to us.

That is incorrect

bodyharvester
August 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM

not to be nasty or anything but i doubt dislocation is what their moether would worry about when he swings them round like that :p

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
There's also this commercial (finally tracked down a decent link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtREJQgws7w

That guy was lucky. My wife would had beat the mud out of him.

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
That is incorrect

no it isn't.

when i was that age i got swung around like that all the time. i also jumped off 20 ft fences onto grass, climbed trees, and generally had a ball.

if i stand up too quick now i'm at risk of pulling a muscle, my knees hurt if i jump off the second step at the bottom of the stairs, and i can't bend enough to climb a tree.

childrens bones are much softer and harder to break than an adults. that is a fact. i'll give you that their bodies aren't fully developed and there could be dislocations, but it's less likely given their bodies are naturally much more supple.

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Well if you want to tell people how to raise their own kids you could call it child endangerment but it is absolutely not abuse.

bodyharvester
August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
i wish i had had a dad like that, nuff said

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Well if you want to tell people how to raise their own kids you could call it child endangerment but it is absolutely not abuse.

it is giving children a bit of fun. yes, it's dangerous, but dangerous is exciting, and the worst that's going to happen is a broken bone - something that could happen playing football or climbing trees. but then kids aren't allowed to climb these days. far too reckless

hanzomon4
August 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
You're a dude?
HA HA

^My new hero

Giant Speck
August 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
I don't get it.

The kids are laughing. They're not showing any signs that what the father is doing is causing pain or discomfort, and the guy isn't bashing the kids up against the wall or beating them with objects.

Parents have been doing these kinds of things for years with their kids and no one has ever cried child abuse. I'm sick and tired of how politically correct our society is becoming. It makes me want to vomit.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
no it isn't.

when i was that age i got swung around like that all the time. i also jumped off 20 ft fences onto grass, climbed trees, and generally had a ball.

if i stand up too quick now i'm at risk of pulling a muscle, my knees hurt if i jump off the second step at the bottom of the stairs, and i can't bend enough to climb a tree.

childrens bones are much softer and harder to break than an adults. that is a fact. i'll give you that their bodies aren't fully developed and there could be dislocations, but it's less likely given their bodies are naturally much more supple.

green stick fracture, Dislocation , concussion ( yes a child can get this from spinning) brain damage the list can go on .....

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
green stick fracture, Dislocation , concussion ( yes a child can get this from spinning) brain damage the list can go on .....

yep, plenty of risks, no doubt about that.

there are also plenty of risks involved with climbing, or cycling, or swimming, or playing sports.

most fun things in life involve some amount of danger. personally i know more people who've been injured playing sports than who've been injured by being spun round as a child.

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Parents have been doing these kinds of things for years with their kids and no one has ever cried child abuse. I'm sick and tired of how politically correct our society is becoming. It makes me want to vomit.

Same here, I can't stand it when people start mumbling when my daughter is acting up and I tell her to stop or I will take her outside and spank her. It worked when my parents did it. I definitely don't beat my kid or try to hurt anything other than her ego.

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
I don't get it.

The kids are laughing. They're not showing any signs that what the father is doing is causing pain or discomfort, and the guy isn't bashing the kids up against the wall or beating them with objects.

i'm pretty sure it was the dad in the film who actually posted the video (and gave it the title)

i think he was sticking two fingers up at the people who tell him he shouldn't play rough with his kids.

in reality, his kids are going to grow up thinking "god, i've got a pretty great dad - we have so much fun!"

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Opinion: it's the extremists with an unbalanced view on life that spoil it for the rest of us who just want to get on with what we're doing.

Question: does being a well-balanced person mean that we have to go round with a chip on both shoulders?
Answer: probably NOT.

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Same here, I can't stand it when people start mumbling when my daughter is acting up and I tell her to stop or I will take her outside and spank her. It worked when my parents did it. I definitely don't beat my kid or try to hurt anything other than her ego.

plenty would tell you that hurting her ego is harming her self esteem and that is more damaging than hurting her physically.

don't get everyone started again :D

Post Monkeh
August 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Opinion: it's the extremists with an unbalanced view on life that spoil it for the rest of us who just want to get on with what we're doing.

Question: does being a well-balanced person mean that we have to go round with a chip on both shoulders?
Answer: probably NOT.

is that penfold in your avatar?

Giant Speck
August 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
i'm pretty sure it was the dad in the film who actually posted the video (and gave it the title)

i think he was sticking two fingers up at the people who tell him he shouldn't play rough with his kids.

in reality, his kids are going to grow up thinking "god, i've got a pretty great dad - we have so much fun!"

I was talking in general. It's pretty obvious that the video was posted by the father himself. It's just pretty sad that there are people out there that do think this is child abuse.

lisati
August 23rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
is that penfold in your avatar?

I didn't realise Penfold was a squirrel....... it's a random picture

TuckLive
August 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

Sounds like you worry to much. ;)

JillSwift
August 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

Add: Just checked it out. Only 4 states allow that sort of thing, and the ones that don't, do not recognize those marriages. Since I'm from Ohio I guess same sex marriage doesn't exist.
All I'm looking to do here is raise consciousness. Such "absolutes" are dissolving, as "absolutes" often do.

Meanwhile, the kids were having a blast in that video. It's great to see a dad so involved with his kids.

schauerlich
August 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Shaycarl is a pretty famous youtuber. Anyone who subscribes to his videos knows his sense of humor and how much he loves his kids. I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about in this video.

kinematic
August 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I play like that with my little dude as well and he loves it, he laughs his little 4ss off because he has so much fun.

ks07
August 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Haha I wondered what I was going to find in here when I read the title. I love shaycarl's videos, he's one of my few subscriptions just because all of his videos are so light-hearted and fun. :)

RabbitWho
August 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Mom used to call that horse play. And she would say how it was all fun and games until someone lost an eye. And then five minutes later i'd bang my head on something and come crying to her and she'd beat me.

That bit about the beating isn't true, but the rest is.

swoll1980
August 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM

According to this logic, if I let my son play football, or baseball I'm a "bad parent". If I let my son Rollerblade, or ride a bicycle I'm a bad parent. You really don't know what your talking about. No offense to you, but I can tell you don't have any children, because this is not what good parenting "means". There are risk involved in everything. Wrapping your kid up in bubble wrap, isn't how you raise a healthy, well adjusted child. You have find a balance between keeping them alive, and letting them be alive. Broken bones, dislocations, and the other things you mentioned come with the territory. All the bones I broke, hundreds of stitches I got, just from being a kid, are one of the few things I don't regret from my childhood.

fatality_uk
August 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
subliminals...

longtom
August 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

That is an interesting statement from a citizen of a country were Rugby is the national sport which gets fanatically worshipped.
Every year a lot of kids get damaged for life in school rugby - mostly neck and back - because of rugby coaches (or parents) overdoing it.

I believe being overprotective with your children can do as much damage if not worse.

And yes, I also have children, and yes, I also live in a country were rugby is religion to certain parts of the community, and yes, my kids are not playing it. Not because I did forbid it but because they are not as talented - they rather do cricket and hockey. Suits me - a blessing in disguise.

A yes - the thread...of course the kids were having a blast and the neighbour is ... misguided...

KiwiNZ
August 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
According to this logic, if I let my son play football, or baseball I'm a "bad parent". If I let my son Rollerblade, or ride a bicycle I'm a bad parent. You really don't know what your talking about. No offense to you, but I can tell you don't have any children, because this is not what good parenting "means". There are risk involved in everything. Wrapping your kid up in bubble wrap, isn't how you raise a healthy, well adjusted child. You have find a balance between keeping them alive, and letting them be alive. Broken bones, dislocations, and the other things you mentioned come with the territory. All the bones I broke, hundreds of stitches I got, just from being a kid, are one of the few things I don't regret from my childhood.

Try again

Three children
1 grandchild

You need to understand what mitigating risk means

days_of_ruin
August 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Did I miss the "Everyone change your avatar to a squirrel!" memo?

Post Monkeh
August 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Not because I did forbid it but because they are not as talented - they rather do cricket and hockey. Suits me - a blessing in disguise.

you ever been hit in the nuts by a cricket or hockey ball going at full pelt?

wojox
August 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
wojox's mom

It's all fun and games until someone breaks their neck.

swoll1980
August 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Try again

Three children
1 grandchild

You need to understand what mitigating risk means

Well it's pretty subjective. For someone it could mean putting a helmet on them, before launching them out of a cannon. For another it could be putting a helmet on them before they play with their Legos, home schooling, no friends, no life, and so on.

toupeiro
August 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I've never been a fan of sideline parenting. This man obviously loves his children. Is the type of playing they are doing rough? Yes. Could injury occour? yes. Is it abuse? Heck no...Words like abuse get tossed around so easily now that its sad a parent, a loving parent who spends time playing with his kids, has to worry about getting the cops called on them and his children who obviously adore him taken away, just for playing rough-house.

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM

OK, since you said "states" fine.. *however*
1) You're assuming US state, as opposed to the meaning of state that's a political counterpart to nation (which is ethnic identity related). Other states that allow same sex marriage include Canada and the UK.
2) The District of Columbia is not a state so you win on a formality, BUT here in the District we DO recognize same-sex marriages and same-sex domestic partnerships (such as in Washington state) from other states even though same sex marriages cannot be performed here (yet).

longtom
August 24th, 2009, 07:22 AM
you ever been hit in the nuts by a cricket or hockey ball going at full pelt?

True - not fun. But being sent in in a scrum again and again but not being physically up to it can not be compared to a fluke accident, can it?

But you were joking of course....

aaaantoine
August 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
This isn't the first time I've seen this guy on YouTube.

Also a funny thing happens when you do this sort of stuff with your kids. They ask for more. Usually their capacity to enjoy exceeds my capacity to entertain. :P

Post Monkeh
August 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
But you were joking of course....

there's nothing funny about being hit in the balls!

Martje_001
August 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Did I miss the "Everyone change your avatar to a squirrel!" memo?
Yes, you did. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1244946&highlight=squirrel)

Little Bit
August 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Also a funny thing happens when you do this sort of stuff with your kids. They ask for more.

I always did! I'm still little enough for Daddy to pick up and toss me around (and I just started high school!), but not quite like the guy in the video did, lol. And we don't really play that way when my friends are around. I'm supposed to have outgrown that by now. Oh well.

Amy