PDA

View Full Version : How do you upgrade Ubuntu?

chessnerd
August 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
With Karmic on it's way in only 2 short months, I'd like to ask a question and I hope to get a bit of advice:

Do you upgrade Ubuntu with the Upgrade Manager or do you backup files and do a fresh install with each release?

I've done it both ways and I have to say that I like a fresh install because it makes the system run better and seems to go faster, but, then again, it takes time to reinstall applications and get hardware to work again.

I'll probably do a fresh install with Karmic, but I'm not decided 100%.

fouserge
August 22nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I typically do an upgrade then after a couple of weeks I'll want to see what it's like as a fresh install when I know I'll have time to mess with it.

HappyFeet
August 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Always fresh install. I don't trust the upgrade process. Plus it's quicker for me (7 min. to install) because I keep all my personal files on separate drives. No backups needed.

steveneddy
August 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I learned a long time ago that a fresh install is the only way to go with Ubuntu.

Nburnes
August 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I'm going to fresh install even though I am running the Alphas atm.

xuCGC002
August 22nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
I use Update Manager. Although it's important to always make a LiveCD of the latest version and test it out. I should've known about Jaunty and the wonders it did for my Intel GPU. *shudders*

TheNosh
August 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
when Jaunty is no longer the latest, i'll probably use that as an excuse to switch distros. if i weren't planning to switch distros i'd do a fresh install though.

Copernicus1234
August 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I would just upgrade under normal circumstances, but since I want ext4 and grub 2 etc, I will do a clean install. Also I want to put my personal files on a separate /home partion. I didnt do that the last time I installed Ubuntu.

TheNosh
August 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I would just upgrade under normal circumstances, but since I want ext4 and grub 2 etc, I will do a clean install. Also I want to put my personal files on a separate /home partion. I didnt do that the last time I installed Ubuntu.

/home partition is always a good idea. i still had to back up and restore my home partition when i formated to ext4, but thats a relatively rare circumstance.

Luca_turicci
August 22nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm running the Alphas (I want to help Canonical T_T) but as soon as Karmic is out and I receive my copy of it on my mailbox (I've a collector's blood... plus I like the stickers) I'll do a fresh install =)

gastly
August 22nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
I've had bad experiences in the past with the upgrading the distro via the update manager. So, now I do the fresh install. I've learnt from the past experience that 'always use a separate /home drive' :P So I usually never have to backup my files ;)

Nevon
August 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
I should probably be putting my home on a different partition for next time, as I always seem to forget to do that.

Anyways, I always do a fresh install. I've heard too many horror stories about upgrading.

XubuRoxMySox
August 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
When Karmic comes out I'll do a fresh install as well. The only thing I must do differently is to format the /home partition so it's ext4 instead of ext3. I guess that matters... I'm looking forward to the faster boot times I've read about.

-Robin