PDA

View Full Version : How many times did you reinstall Ubuntu before you "got" it?

Lavaeagle
August 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I installed it for the first time and i just recently messed everything up experimenting with different libraries and programs eventually it really messed things.

chessnerd
August 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Let's see... :-k

First install: Xubuntu 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 then to 9.04
Mess up: installed a bunch of Window Managers/Desktop Environments and tinkered too much under the hood
Second Install: Xubuntu 9.04
Mess up: None, I upgraded the computer with more RAM.
Third Install: Ubuntu 8.04
Mess up: Not sure, suddenly became *really* slow!
Fourth Install: Ubuntu 9.04

There you go, four times. :)

Regenweald
August 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Three times
1 installed it with wubi to test out, did not really understand it's partitions and how it recognised my drives
2 Got it, installed on own HD, but allowed the installer to partition hence root + home on same partition. was not happy with this after some reading.
3 with Intrepid finally partitioned system the way i wanted it. Partitioning was my only problem, Gnome was really intuitive to me.

hansdown
August 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi Lavaeagle.

I can't count that high, but I'm alright now.

Seriously, it's been a few times.

I've actually reinstalled 3 times in 1 week.

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
it was satisfactory on my first install: dual boot with vista.

the vista partition has since gone by the wayside.

Luca_turicci
August 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
let's see...

last year instaled it on my desktop to try it, Ubuntu Hardy, hated the fact that no IM clients supported my webcam, so i went back to windows.

This year I decided to wellcome the year with a big change, what was it? UBUNTU AGAIN!! I installed 3 or 4 times that day, because i didn't liked the size of the partitions and didn't knew about Gparted yet... I left a Windows partition and dual boot "just in case..."

Finally on July I got a netbook wich came with WinXP... but didn't lasted more than an hour like that... it runs karmic... with no partitions... so, you do the count.

steveneddy
August 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
I started using Ubuntu at Warty.

At that time it was just a hobby so it is close to 100.

Now Ubuntu is stable enough that I use it daily on my main production laptop.

Now I only reinstall for a new version.

Recently upgraded to Intrepid because I like the name better than Hardy.

Not really - I found myself using so many Intrepid ppa's that it was easier to upgrade to Intrepid than have an unstable system.

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
First attempt (of "Feisty") on a laptop that didn't really have enough RAM: fail. Took two or three more goes trying different media before I discovered the "alternate" install disk. Worked wonders!

HappyFeet
August 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
At least a dozen times.

kevdog
August 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
I only had to reinstall it once, but that was because I think I didn't know anything about recovering a system or actually saving default config files first prior to messing with them. I've reinstalled Ubuntu about 5 times after "getting it", however this is only when new releases were available. I tried the whole upgrade process, however it tends to mess things up at least for me.

Swagman
August 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I started on Debian Woody PPC (AmigaOne).

Took me about 3 attempts to install the thing.. Then (in my limited knowledge) I messed it up about 2 times and re-installed.

I was online talking to gurus about how to fix it and they kept saying "DON'T REBOOT, we can fix this"

But I got angry and hit the big switch... Then spent ages re-installing !!

As for Ubuntu.

ONCE (Feisty Fawn)

It just worked.

PippoFranco
August 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I moved from Fedora to Ubuntu 7.04.

I installed each new version since (I don't like to upgrade, I don't know whot appens vith the system). I use daily 9.04 and I have a dual boot experimental machine with 9.04 and 9.10.

--f

Copernicus1234
August 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Actually I just messed up again, thankfully it was in a virtual machine. :)

I tried installing KDE 4.3 in Karmic Ubuntu... 4 packages didnt install because of a bug, and removing KDE didnt work. So there I was with some kind of messed up version of Gnome with both KDE applications and Gnome applications in the menu. I restarted the virtual machine, only to find out it didnt even accept my user credentials anymore.

Very glad I did this in a virtual machine and not my real machine!

Nevon
August 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I've only had to reinstall one version of Ubuntu because of messing up. There was something with Nautilus not working because I didn't properly unmount a CD, or something like that. Then when I tried reinstalling Nautilus, Thunar kicked in as the standard file manager, and none of the links in the "places" menu worked. That's when I had to reinstall.

hyperdude111
August 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
It the beginning about 10 - 15 times. I still re-install every few months just for a cleaner faster system.

cascade9
August 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
When I did my 1st install with 9.04, I had to reinstall because I couldnt figure out the whole root password issue i.e. "did I miss some screen! argh!" LMAO

markbuntu
August 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I installed hardy 386 once and still use it. Then I installed hardy amd64 with ubuntustudio and still use that. Then I installed Intrepid which got replaced with Jaunty which took 2 tries because of a problem with migration assistant. I also have Debian5.0 and SUSE11.1 and I think Mandriva somewhere on these 4 hard drives.

I don't think I reinstalled anything once I got it to boot up.

I have Kuki on my netbook. Installed twice but I still have both installs.

dragos240
August 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I got it one.

TheNessus
August 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Installed twice, formated the first time because I didn't know I could resize the partition on that bar, so it was left a minimum of 2gb. I was busy looking for numerics I could change, how could I know it was purely graphical? grrr

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I honestly lost count. I have installed this then tried that then reverted back to the other just to upgrade to another. Now I have virtual box so I don't have to keep making permanent changes anymore. I have tried Xubuntu, Fedora, Kubuntu(for all of ten minutes), Ubuntu and of coarse I have had Ubuntu Hardy though Karmic all installed at one time or another.

I have clung to Hardy for now, but I think once Karmic is finished I will go to it and stay there until it expires.

BTW, the only windows I use are to watch the kid play in the yard.

kk0sse54
August 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Installed it in vmware first and then my hard drive but I've never reinstalled it because I've messed up something.

afmGM
August 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
First install was Xubuntu 7.10, I didn't like the XCFE window manager, and that computer I installed it on was merely a test and it had no internet. It was a dual boot, that I did successfully on my first try (with the help of tutorials).

Next install was Ubuntu 8.04.
It was on a computer with internet, and used for a while until I slowed it down badly by install out-dated packages. My graphic card wasen't really supported as well, so I got many GUI crashes/glitches.

Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10.
Very good experience, it fixed a load of problems and sped up my computer. But I still didn't know what I was doing, and did not have a good experience. Unfortunately it was bogged down on the graphical side due to me installing another window manager. Graphics problems almost gone.

Ubuntu 8.10 on new computer.
Motherboard wasn't supported causing crashes, and a bad experience.

7 months later, I decided to install Ubuntu 9.04 to try again.
Very good experience, I figured everything out, since having experience of programming has helped me to understand linux, terminal, and how to compile a package. The updated linux kernal, fixed the mobo issues.

Lavaeagle
August 24th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I just finally succesfully finished my first install windows 7 and ubuntu! it's great stuff.
I am realizing though ubuntu is the most stable of most OS's though, I was experiencing some weird problems with tings like chakra and slitaz and some others but ubuntu and kubuntu were the easiest to install

nubimax
August 24th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Installed ubuntu 8.04 first try and have used it ever since.
M

RabbitWho
August 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM
3, other two still there taking up space but I can't get rid of them because I don't know which of the 7 partitions they are!

Curious? Want more details? Limited time only check out this fabulous offer of a request:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1246902 ( scroll down, last 2 posts )

nelson2006
August 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I lost the count! :lolflag:

avaralom
August 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Hmm.. I installed Ubuntu into Wubi before I ever actually partitioned my hard drive. After tinkering around with Wubi (getting the wireless to work mostly), I went ahead and partitioned it and installed so I could dual-boot with Windows on my laptop. That was 8.04, I need to upgrade it soon.

armageddon08
August 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I reinstall Ubuntu because every time I "get it".

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I've only ever reinstalled for things like changing my partitioning scheme (getting further into development required that I have more space on / to hold -dev and -doc and -dbg packages), getting new features (like GRUB2), to clean up cruft after too many cycles running unstable, and to switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu. Oh, and that time I meant to install on my external hard drive and accidentally installed on my internal. That sucked. I still haven't re-ripped all my CDs.

Grifulkin
August 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I would say close to 50 and this is within about a year I would say, I used to use Wubi and I would install and uninstall all the time because I screwed up something and had no clue what I was really doing. But on this laptop I had every intention of putting pure Ubuntu on it, but I went through 2 hard drives to get it there. I am now runnin Ubuntu on a 2006 Compaq with a 20 HD but I have a 40 HD with Windows but I never use it.

My next big thing is a dual boot on my new desktop but I don't know what Distro yet.

tubasoldier
August 25th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Once, but in 2003 I installed Red Hat Linux 9 quite a number of times as well as Mandrake 9.1 over and over.
It took me a while to realize that Linux really was much different than windows.

inobe
August 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM
i didn't know what a kernel was and tried installing one, i guess it didn't want to boot anymore :)

so i started reading instead of multitasking.

okay kernel modules are actually drivers:lol:

what a friend said

Technoviking
August 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I had been using Fedora/RedHat for years when switching to Ubuntu, so maybe twice. Since all the hardware on my laptop worked out of the box when I switch from Ubuntu, I did not have to tweak as much.
:guitar:

T-V