PDA

View Full Version : Emesene 1.5. Opinion?

kestal
August 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
For my own comments... I just have to say wow? I haven't had a chance to follow emesene for a while, yet alone build the most recent version of it..

Screenshots Here
http://www.emesene.org/screenshots.html

I took a stab at it today and surprisingly, it ran without a hitch. All the plugins worked (aside from one, but I had to install a dependency), my webcam even worked (and my webcam has not worked in any other program so far, in Ubuntu).

If they can stick this version into the repos by official, I will be pretty happy (as right now, you just run the emesene script from the extracted folder, as I didn't wish to try and build it - I will wait for the deb, in the coming days). It has pre-built-in MSN-plus features, too.

They are already starting to work on emesene 2.0. Anyone else using this? Supposedly 1.5 officially released a few days ago, im glad I found it when I did :)

I think it may be a good contender to replace my normal choice in MSN clients (Galaxium) - as their development has stagnated since last year.

scotcella
August 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
It sure does look interesting, I'll upgrade mine as soon as it becomes available!

Hopefully the wait won't be too long! Thanks for posting this.. I'd have never noticed otherwise.

kestal
August 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
It sure does look interesting, I'll upgrade mine as soon as it becomes available!

Hopefully the wait won't be too long! Thanks for posting this.. I'd have never noticed otherwise.

Np.

I was just excited that my webcam seemed to work out of the box with a non-installed emesene, while it shows that my webcam is not supported in any linux distribution.. (mind you, the video was pretty dark and grainy, but after adjusting it, it didn't look half bad).

MarcusW
August 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Let's hope it's in the repository in 9.10. :)

CraigGB
August 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Let's hope it's in the repository in 9.10. :)

im running karmic and emesene 1.5 is in the repositories and its pretty awesome :)

SneakyBooBoo
December 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Any word on how to get plugins from 1.01 working on it? I've found the folder but when i throw them in there it rejects them. I get an error that says

"Error when importing (plugin name)"
"No module named (plugin name)"

I just want my two AWN plugins to work again :(

Kobalt
December 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm testing Emesene right now and I'm pleased with what I see. It also supports audio/video chatting with my msn contacts, out of the box (on my eeePC 1005H). The GUI has a nice look and feel with Tango icons so it's not that badly integrated into Gnome.
The good thing is that it seems to handle http connection to msn servers far better than my Pidgin does (and indeed Empathy...). We have a web proxy that seems to kill the connection after a while using Pidgin, and I didn't notice this with Emesene yet.

Great little piece of software, looking forward to v2.0

pjalegria
December 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
You can have the lasted version 1.5.1 from http://emesene.org/download.html

Sef
December 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Moved to the community cafe.