PDA

View Full Version : bash script `date +%Y-%m-%d` subtract one month

shane2peru
August 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Ok, I have a cron job to record an internet radio show that I enjoy. However I manually end up having to go and delete these recorded shows. So I decided to get fancy and write a cron job to remove the old shows. Here is what I have:

0 10 10 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-0*
0 10 20,21,22 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-1*
0 10 30,31 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-2*

ok, I generi-sized that a bit, but you get the idea. Those should work fine, my problem is I get day's 30 and 31 that hang there and collect. So I would like to use the
show-`date +%Y-%m`-3* for the previous month and remove them. I don't really want to write 11 code lines to delete them and crontab it out as that would be excessive. Is there a way to use the previous month in a string format for this type of stuff? Or can the string be used subtracting one month? Or do you have a better idea? I'm no programmer, but have greatly enjoyed learning scripting, so if it can be done with bash it is better, not over my head. :) Thanks.

Shane

slavik
August 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
find is a useful command. below is an example you can use to delete files in a directory that were last modified more than 30 days ago.

find /dir/where/shows/are/ -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;

mobilediesel
August 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Ok, I have a cron job to record an internet radio show that I enjoy. However I manually end up having to go and delete these recorded shows. So I decided to get fancy and write a cron job to remove the old shows. Here is what I have:

0 10 10 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-0*
0 10 20,21,22 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-1*
0 10 30,31 * * rm /home/user/location/show-`date +%Y-%m`-2*

ok, I generi-sized that a bit, but you get the idea. Those should work fine, my problem is I get day's 30 and 31 that hang there and collect. So I would like to use the
show-`date +%Y-%m`-3* for the previous month and remove them. I don't really want to write 11 code lines to delete them and crontab it out as that would be excessive. Is there a way to use the previous month in a string format for this type of stuff? Or can the string be used subtracting one month? Or do you have a better idea? I'm no programmer, but have greatly enjoyed learning scripting, so if it can be done with bash it is better, not over my head. :) Thanks.

Shane
I came up with this for you:

show-`date +%Y-%m --date="last month"`
Then Slavik came up with the superior:

find is a useful command. below is an example you can use to delete files in a directory that were last modified more than 30 days ago.

find /dir/where/shows/are/ -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;

There's no real script required for that, just put that in your crontab.

shane2peru
August 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks both of you!!! I will use them. Bash script was more of a description of what I wanted. At any rate, I can really modify the find one to fit my needs and anything that is seven days old can be deleted with one line. :) Thanks!!!

Shane