PDA

View Full Version : Open Everything coming to a city near you: October 31st

DouglasAWh
August 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Open Everything is a global conversation about the art, science and spirit of 'open'. It gathers people using openness to create and improve software, education, media, philanthropy, architecture, neighbourhoods, workplaces and the society we live in: everything. It's about thinking, doing and being open.

The list of cities for October 31st is:

North America
# San Francisco, CA, USA
# Washington, DC, USA
# Madison, WI, USA
# New York, NY, USA
# Ann Arbor, MI, USA
# Toronto, Canada
# Montreal, Canada

Europe
# Berlin, Germany
# London, UK
# Madrid, Spain
# Innsbruck, Austria

Asia
# Delhi, India

We'd love to add more! My subject can only be true if you help us make it true! If you are in a country that celebrates Halloween, please feel free to

A) Hold the event either on the 30th or Nov 1st (or another week, if that is better for you)
B) Wear costumes! You could even have a theme...like best FOSS mascot!

Please send information about this event to your local hippies and your local libertarians. This is *not* a technology event, though we certainly welcome technologists. This is not a political event, though we do welcome discussion on open government/politics. This event is really about talking about openness in *all* walks of life. For us in Madison, it will be our 3rd event. For many places this will be the 1st or 2nd event. Please become a part of something special!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about the event.

For more info, see http://openeverything.wik.is/

Also, join our discussion group at https://groups.google.com/group/open-everything-discuss

We can be found on freenode at #openeverything

RPG Master
August 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
"Open Everything coming to a city near you"

Not for me :(

(Mobile, AL)

DouglasAWh
August 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
"Open Everything coming to a city near you"

Not for me :(

(Mobile, AL)

Would Atlanta be close enough? I know they have a strong Ubuntu following there. What about Tuscaloosa? I have some ties there. There's still plenty of time to plan an event, even if it's small. In Madison our event grew from the 1st to the 2nd and I hope the 3rd is even larger.

Checking Wikipedia, it looks like you've got University of South Alabama, Spring Hill College, the University of Mobile, Faulkner University, and Bishop State Community College. We've had our events at UW-Madison. I don't think the 3rd one will be there, but universities tend to be a great place to do these sorts of things if you can attach yourself to a student organization. Student LUGs or a Free Culture chapter are great. Georgia Tech looks like it may be the closest Free Culture chapter to you, but perhaps you could help change that!

Feel free to send an e-mail to the discussion group. I lived in Tuscaloosa early in life, but perhaps someone else has better ties to Mobile.

RPG Master
August 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Well first of all I am 15 and must rely on my parents for transportation so no I won't be able to make it to the Georgia event :P

I have been thinking about trying to start a Free Culture group... but none of my friends care about such issues :(

And I am also trying to find out more about my local LUG.

So.. trying to setup an event like this seems kinda hard... But I am not saying it's impossible :)

Swagman
August 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Not for me either

London = Epic Phail. Try making it somewhere sensible... Like Rugby (it's in the middle of England) or Northampton-ish.

London is too much hassle in every conceivable way.

coldReactive
August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Holy ****!

A convention is coming to MY City?! We NEVER get conventions.

# Madison, WI, USA

DouglasAWh
August 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Holy ****!

A convention is coming to MY City?! We NEVER get conventions.

# Madison, WI, USA

Really? We've had two in Madison already; December 6, 2008 and April 18th 2009.

Many of the people involved are also working on BarCampMadison3.

DouglasAWh
August 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Not for me either

London = Epic Phail. Try making it somewhere sensible... Like Rugby (it's in the middle of England) or Northampton-ish.

London is too much hassle in every conceivable way.

The reason for that is that's where people are willing to do it. If you know people in Rugby, I suggest you contact them about putting on an event. There's two in Canada and 5 in the US...even two in the midwest of the US. There's no reason England can't have more than one.

coldReactive
August 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Really? We've had two in Madison already; December 6, 2008 and April 18th 2009.

Many of the people involved are also working on BarCampMadison3.

Never even heard of this thing until I saw it here...

I registered on that wiki and commented on the Madison Article, might want to check it out (No, not the OMG Site, the general open everything site.)

DouglasAWh
August 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Never even heard of this thing until I saw it here...

I posted in the Wisconsin LoCo section on ubuntuforums for the others, but not in the Community Cafe. I suppose that was a mistake.

I've been working on getting events in Milwaukee and Chicago too, but those seem a long way off. OEChicago and OEMKE both have twitter and identi.ca accounts. OEMad is an identi.ca group and a twitter id, I believe. There's also Open Everything on Twitter and a Open Everything group on identi.ca.

harry2006
August 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
very nice initiative. we must thank all those who are going to make it happen. ATB.