PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Install Ubuntu (Studio) From USB?

thenegativecreep
August 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
I've installed Ubuntu on an older computer of mine, but I never use it, because I have two more computers. But, despite being a noob, I wanted to install some form of Linux on one of my primary ones, and learn to use it from actually using it (coming from Windows). I have everything set up to dual boot it, so that is no problem. The only issue I have is that I decided to install Ubuntu Studio's most current version, and I don't have any blank dvds, and most likely can't get more, at least not for a long time, due to money. I put the .iso on my 2 GB flash drive, and the BIOS let me boot from it, but the device simply flashed and everything moved on normally to Windows. I mounted the .iso on a virtual drive and pulled out the contents, and put those on my flash drive, with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Alternatively, is there a way to install from two CD-Rs, instead of a dvd?

I also have a copy of Ubuntu (I don't know which version) on DVD from when I installed it on my older computer. Would it be possible to install that, and then somehow upgrade it to Ubuntu Studio?

Any help is appreciated, thank you... :???:

damis648
August 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Check out UNetBootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). That will let you set up your flash drive to be able to install pretty much any linux distro from.