PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Client on Sidekick (danger hiptop)

msg
February 2nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
Grr, I say.

Im sorta a linux "noob" however I know the basic stuff

My friend downloaded the "Terminal Client" application to my sidekick (its a GRPS internet phone with a full keyboard). He said I could control my Linux box remotely with it. After playing around for 15 minutes, I couldn't get it to work. The app costed 10 bucks, so I dont wanna just delete it. The main menu looks something like this:

-----------------------------------
Name: ______________
Host: ______________
Protocol: (drop down menu) SSH2/Telnet/Raw

[Connect] [Save]
-----------------------------------

My "friend" said to put my username in "name" and my IP address under "host" and use SSH2 .... connection failed\\:D/. Is there something I need to enable on my computer? Help Please!

briancurtin
February 2nd, 2006, 04:37 AM
first off, do you have SSH enabled on your computer?

msg
February 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Im not sure, how do I enable it?

mishathegoat
January 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
I also bought Sidekick's "Terminal Client"

BUMP

Lostincyberspace
January 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
You need to install openssh-server
Just run
[QCODE]sudo apt-get install openssh-server[/CODE]
and it should work then.

Crashmaxx
January 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
You need to install openssh-server
Just run
[QCODE]sudo apt-get install openssh-server[/CODE]
and it should work then.

Little be more to it then that, start with this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/server/C/openssh-server.html

And you will probably need to also forward port 2222 on your router and use something like DynDNS.org to find your computer, and it obviously must be on at the time.

BiiPiiGii
September 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I also downloaded it for my phone. I don't even care to have it control my box, I'd like to chat on IRC with it though and do some other admin stuff. Anyone know how to configure this program, it would be awesome if someone did. I use terminal all the time on my unix boxes, I've never seen one like this though.

Xbehave
September 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
once openssh-server is installed you need to get sshd running, you can do this manually by running

/etc/init.d/shhd start
or you can turn the sshd service on in your system services.

However you should read this (http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ssh-public-key-based-authentication-how-to.html) and make sure you secure you do not allow people to login using just a password as you will be brute forced if you do