PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] latest kernel patch 2.6.28.15 will not update

graham45
August 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi I have run update manager and was presented with kernel patch/s 2.6.28.15 etc and asked to install them. The system seemed to be working normally and I did not notice and errors, but after when I checked in /boot there are no new kernel files so obviously it has failed to update for some reason. I have looked for update logs but cant find them - they must be somewhere in /var I would have thought. Anyway when I run update manager now it tells me I am up to date !! That is after clicking the 'check' button by the way ! I am running 9.04 and always keep my patching up to date !! Just this 1 problem with the latest kernel update. Can anybody suggest a way to resolve this please ? Thanks.

wojox
August 21st, 2009, 11:06 PM
Look in /usr/src/ :P

graham45
August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Thanks for that info - indeed it all seems to be there - just not sure what to do with it now.....what action to take to get it loaded in /boot- this was part of a standard patch install - i was not trying to build a kernel !
Thanks for the information anyway

emeraldgirl08
August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Someone passed this to me:

sudo update-grub

I basically had the same problem as you. I did not see the new kernel on my Grub boot. I just did the code and am going to restart.

We'll see :)

EDIT:

Didn't work.

graham45
August 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for that suggestion - it would probably work if new kernel was in /boot/ but it isnt on my system and not on yours either it seems - thats the problem ! It seems update-manager does not log details of errors otherwise one could track the problem down, nice to know about the 'update-grub' command anyway. Of course before rebooting you can always ' cat /boot/grub/menu.lst | more' to check the nre kernel is added to the grub boot config. It wont be there if it isnt in the /boot directory !!