PDA

View Full Version : Blackboard and Firefox under Linux -- Problem

samalex
August 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I'm using Firefox 3.0.13 under Ubuntu 9.04 and today I tried to access the discussion boards on Blackboard for my upcoming online class (starts on Monday) to find I can't reply or post new messages. It's like the first time I go in and click Thread or Reply it loads fine, but after that it won't do it again. I pretty much have to close out of Firefox and go back in. What it's doing is just not showing the body WYSIWIG interface, only the subject textbox and Cancel/Save/Submit buttons.

I noticed under about:plugins it's using this:
File name: IcedTeaPlugin.so
The IcedTea Java Web Browser Plugin 1.4.1 (6b14-1.4.1-0ubuntu11) executes Java applets.

... instead of the Java runtime. Could this be incompatible? And would it be possible for me to install the java runtime and remove this? I tried installing the Java JRE through Synaptic, but it wanted to upgrade to Firefox 3.5 which I tested with and Bb crashes with that.

So any suggestions? Thanks -

Sam

SunnyRabbiera
August 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Just install java, as for firefox 3.5 it might work better with the official java.

matthewbpt
August 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Install the following:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
What you are using is the open source Java plugin called IcedTea, and while it works for most things it doesn't always work, the official one is more reliable.

DeadSuperHero
August 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
I hope it works, I start school next week and would hate to have Blackboard crap out on me.

running_rabbit07
August 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I am so glad my school broke the contract with Blackboard and got the Angel Learning system.