PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installed firefox but it shows as shiretoko

mmoalem
August 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
hi there all - tried to install firefox 3.5 on 9.04 (following this link:
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/06/firefox-35-rc-1-ubuntu-repository-deb.html)
but it changed my firefox to something called shiretoko and in the about it says it's 3.5.pre - i even tried to install now the 3.6 from synaptic but even thought it said that it installed correctly the command 'firefox' still opens shiretoko - WT*!?
besides the fact that it does not upgrade it is also not recognised by my bank's website as valid browser... please please help me sort this out

presence1960
August 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
hi there all - tried to install firefox 3.5 on 9.04 (following this link:
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/06/firefox-35-rc-1-ubuntu-repository-deb.html)
but it changed my firefox to something called shiretoko and in the about it says it's 3.5.pre - i even tried to install now the 3.6 from synaptic but even thought it said that it installed correctly the command 'firefox' still opens shiretoko - WT*!?
besides the fact that it does not upgrade it is also not recognised by my bank's website as valid browser... please please help me sort this out
that IS the name of Firefox 3.5.
I used it briefly and my bank's site was able to be accessed by it. But I dumped it for lack of support for some of my extensions which became disabled in Shiretoko..

mmoalem
August 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
thanks for that - how did you remove it?
i figured i can access the installed firefox 3.6 with the command 'firefox-3.6' - dont get why is not a straight update to 3.5... anyway - it too isn't recognised by my bank - maybe it is because the browser reports itself as a different name??? - once i used an advice from this forum to get it to report as firefox rather than ubuntu but can't remeber how to do it...

kestal
August 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
thanks for that - how did you remove it?
i figured i can access the installed firefox 3.6 with the command 'firefox-3.6' - dont get why is not a straight update to 3.5... anyway - it too isn't recognised by my bank - maybe it is because the browser reports itself as a different name??? - once i used an advice from this forum to get it to report as firefox rather than ubuntu but can't remeber how to do it...

Shiretoko IS Firefox 3.5 but without the branding, as for anything Jaunty or before, the official firefox version is 3.0. Karmic will get a branded firefox 3.5 while firefox 3.6 will be named Namaroka.

While some plugins and other things may not work, its probably due to compatility of 3.5. If you check under Help, and About, you'll see that its actually version 3.5.2 (if you did it recently).

kestal
August 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Double-post.

mmoalem
August 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
thanks - it says 3.5.3pre - the 'pre' i thought meant 'beta' and i though 3.5 was stable, got a bit confused with the lot :)

jherskow
August 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
im very confused, i just did an updat.
so now i have Shiretoko/3.5.3pre.
but this can't possibly be the stable versiona cuz i have that on my windows machine and it supports all the addons that are now not working on my ubuntu one..

can anyone help?

presence1960
August 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
im very confused, i just did an updat.
so now i have Shiretoko/3.5.3pre.
but this can't possibly be the stable versiona cuz i have that on my windows machine and it supports all the addons that are now not working on my ubuntu one..

can anyone help?

The windows version and the linux version are for different platforms. What works in one may not work in another. When I switched to Linux there were a few Firefox add-ons that didn't work in Linux, but worked in windows Firefox

spcwingo
August 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
once i used an advice from this forum to get it to report as firefox rather than ubuntu but can't remeber how to do it...

Open a tab in Shiretoko and in the address bar enter

about:config

In the search bar that it opens, search for shiretoko. Now, that should yield a string named general.useragent.extra.firefox. Double click that and change it from Shiretoko/3.5.3pre to Firefox/3.5.3pre.

jherskow
August 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
so how do i get rid of it and change it back to the old firefox without losing my data
??

presence1960
August 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
so how do i get rid of it and change it back to the old firefox without losing my data
??

Go in syanaptic and mark for removal firefox 3.5, firefox 3.5 branding & firefox 3.5 gnome-support. Then mark for installation the same things firefox 3.0

jherskow
August 27th, 2009, 10:01 AM
that just stopped Firefox from working altogether, so i re-installed them, so im back at sq.1

wojox
August 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

jherskow
August 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
that's a really big and long page, my friend.

could you direct me to the part i need please?

ebell
August 29th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I had the same problem, have Ubuntu 9.04 and upgraded to Firefox 3.5 Shiretoko. It started locking up and when closing would not. The way I fixed it was:

Opened a terminal window and edited the sources.list
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Look for the two lines below and comment them out by placing 2 ## in front of the signs as shown above. Save the sources.list file.

##deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
##deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Back to the terminal window and type
sudo apt-get clean
This removes any cached package files that was downloaded when Shiretoko was installed.

run
sudo apt-get update
This will ensure the latest updates are installed.

Open Synaptic Package manager and removed any reference to Firefox.

Back to the Terminal window and type the following:

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0

Firefox was restored to 3.0.13