PDA

View Full Version : Advice for incoming CS major

schauerlich
August 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I figure on forums like these, there have to be a few Computer Science majors out there. In about a month I'll be starting at UC Davis majoring in CS, and I was wondering if anyone had advice about it. For example, which topics to focus on, what's most useful in the real world, habits I shouldn't fall into, or just generally what the program at your school was like. Thanks.

andrewc6l
August 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
My one piece of advice: learn the concepts behind the languages, not the languages / libraries themselves. If you have the concepts, adapting to a different syntax / framework is a minor thing.

Knowing how recursion works or how method lookup happens will serve you everywhere you code. Knowing the Java AWT widget toolkit, not so much.

Frak
August 22nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Learn what languages are good for what. In my CS class, certain assignments were open to languages. You'd be graded for your choice of language and a two page essay of why you thought it was a good choice of a language.

MikeTheC
August 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I don't know if this qualifies as a "CS" degree, but I'm going after a Computer Information Systems Management degree. Of course, right now I'm miles and miles away from completing it as this will only be my second semester in college.

As it is, I'm kind of dreading two things. I have to take two semesters (IIRC) of programming languages -- which while on the one hand I understand helps a manager have an appreciation for what his/her people under him are doing, is something I'm not really wired for or gifted in. The second thing is the foreign language requirement, which I believe is a stupid thing to put in as a mandatory requirement in a degree. It should be an elective for those who either want to do it or will be doing something where the foreign language will be useful, such as working overseas. So, just like zillions of others, I'll burn up two years of my life taking foreign language courses so that I can promptly forget all of what I learned and never ever use it again in my life.

What a waste considering I could fill those degree hours up with something else that would be both more meaningful and interesting to me personally and more beneficial to me professionally. But sometimes I really just don't understand our education system.

*sigh*

NovaAesa
August 22nd, 2009, 02:10 AM
One huge piece of advice, forget what they told you about algorithms in high school. I Software Desgin And Development as one of my core subjects in high school, and one of the main thing that was drilled into me was that algorithms have one beginning and ONE end. This is basically utter tripe when it comes to university. Even in theoretical algorithm subjects at uni (such as algorithmics), you will have returns all the way through your parameter checking section at the top of most functions.

Another sugestion - don't use an IDE. I know it may seem a bit silly, but learning how to actually use the commands to compile the program and fiddling with compile options is definately worth learning. Although they will never ask you about the commands in an exam (they don't here anyway), it WILL give you great insight into how things work behind the scenes and what different GUI options are doing.

Also, if you learn C++, which you most likely will, do it on Linux. I've heard from many people that using sigwin is not so fun.

lisati
August 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
What I was taught about algorithms having one entry and one exit was that it is largely a stylistic thing that is done in the interests of program clarity. It's kinda "out there" on a similar level to avoidance of the "goto" command (or equivalent). Have a look here: http://www.fortran.com/come_from.html

DeadSuperHero
August 22nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
MiketheC's situation hits pretty close to home for me. I too am going after a Computer Information Systems transfer degree so that I can further my education at a 4-year school. That way my first two years are free due to where I am on the economic food chain.

I have to take all these prerequisite classes first, but I believe the advice up earlier in this thread about researching the concepts rather than just the language/toolkit is a huge help. Best advice I've read in ages.

rajcan
August 22nd, 2009, 02:46 AM
All I can say is don't try and write a program assignment in one night, spread it over several days. I'm gonna be a freshman CS major this year, but I've already taken a few college level CS classes, and that killed me when I first started.

MikeTheC
August 22nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
MiketheC's situation hits pretty close to home for me. I too am going after a Computer Information Systems transfer degree so that I can further my education at a 4-year school. That way my first two years are free due to where I am on the economic food chain.
Yep, that pretty much describes my situation exactly. The sole exception is that they're still looking at last year's tax returns, and so even though I've been unemployed (and collecting benefits) since late last year, I somehow don't qualify for any kind of student aid. Go figure. Anyhow...

Fortunately I have (not tons by any means) some money now to survive on and start paying my way through college with. I'm doing this for a couple reasons. To be brutally honest, I've spent most of my adult life making excuses for why I haven't gone to college, and I've simply gotten tired of making excuses and going without. Secondly, as a practical matter, if you don't have a degree, there's just no getting a job in the tech industry or in really any kind of professional circumstances, so I feel compelled to pursue a degree.

To give you an example, I worked here for five years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_CISC) and not that I'd ever want to work as a telephone tech rep again (or even in that segment of the industry) the fact of the matter is I couldn't even that kind of job without at least an Associate's degree. In other words, as things stand right now, I'm unemployable in my own industry. Also, if you look around on any of these job search sites (or in the local paper, etc.) any kind of "real" job has a degree requirement. Effectively, unless I want some low-end, menial job for the rest of my life, I'm more or less unemployable totally.

I think my biggest concern is that, by the time I get out of college, the economy will have deteriorated to such an extent there may not be any jobs left in this country. From where I'm sitting at this point, I am only seeing things getting worse. Between having to pay for the so-called "economic stimulus" package that's already gone through, and whatever else they're doing with bail-outs, etc., and companies and government organizations laying people off (a nearby city just let 35 firemen go) there's no real economic turnaround or recovery. And with every additional laid-off person, that's one fewer customer, one smaller-check-paying customer, one more person who will have to fall on the government for help with making mortgage payments, etc. In other words, the economy is going to get worse and may not be able to support my kind of a position by the time I'm able to get back into the swing of things.

I'm not trying to sit here and bemoan my own personal fate, because I absolutely recognize the fact that there are many others out there (and many of you on here, too) who are or will be impacted by exactly what I've just described. We're all in this together. I'm just saying it's kind of like throwing salt on a wound.

And then to think I have to study a foreign language (and spend considerable time doing so) so I can either chew up my own money or more government grant money (that is to say, taxpayer tax money) for something I'll never use... I mean, talk about "government waste"... Anyhow...

I have to take all these prerequisite classes first, but I believe the advice up earlier in this thread about researching the concepts rather than just the language/toolkit is a huge help. Best advice I've read in ages.
I have a lot of other prerequisites to deal with, generally none of which I have a problem with. Either I feel they're 100% legitimate (like taking Intro Algebra and now Intermediate Algebra so I can take full College Algebra and then the other higher levels) or they're of some level of personal interest. So yes, this is going to take me a while. Probably at least four years. But then, I am going after a Bachelor's in CIS Management.

sydbat
August 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Mike - same degree I have (graduated in 2003) that has really not helped me out alot. But that could be because I am unwilling to relocate to another city just for a job. Fortunately, my wife has a good paying position and it has lessened the financial sting, but I do need to find something soon for my own mental (and financial) well being.

That said, having been an adult student is a good thing because you can push through the BS and take away the important stuff. Enjoy it.

About the language thing...I imagine they are making you take another language so you can be ready to move to another country for work, if that is what you ultimately decide, or deal with people from other countries easier. It is always good to have something like that, even if you never use it...employers should look kindly on it.

Finally, I think by the time you graduate with your B.Sc., the economy will be much recovered. It is actually on the upswing now, but it takes time to trickle down.

tuskenraider
August 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
advice? sure
DONT DO IT!! ITS A TRAP! LOL

seriously tho...

good luck man! im sure youll do well! :guitar:

tusken