PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing task bar (UBUNTU 9.04)

yzfvie
August 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am new to UBUNTU and wanted to try it out. I installed UBUNTU a few days ago and started with 8.10 and upgraded to 9.04. I started installing a couple of applications.

After trying to install these applications, I started getting error messages that some application components were not running properly(can't remember anymore). I turned off the computer for the day and when I rebooted the next day, all I had was the desktop screen without the taskbars. The only thing I can do is Cntl-alt-del to turn off the computer and the right mouse button opens a box with options (Create folder,launcher or document) and (Change desktop background)

Is there anything I can do to restore my taskbar short of re-installing UBUNTU?

Thanks.

wojox
August 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
This worked for me in 8.10 haven't had to try it in 9.04 yet:

Alt+F2

type gnome-terminal in box click run

In the terminal

gconftool-2 --shutdown

gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

pkill gnome-panel

yzfvie
August 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I have no function control with my keyboard except for Cntrl-Alt-Del

Unethical
August 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
This may not be a full fix, but maybe it can be a lead to you, or someone else.

Right click the desktop and go to change background > add. In the drop menu where "Images" is selected, press all files. From here you can find files and drag them to your desktop.

Maybe try getting into the terminal from there...?

jkarcz
August 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Had this happened to me too after an upgrade. Something must have got trashed in the gnome settings. I finally just renamed/deleted the .gconf, gconfd, .gnome2, and .gnome2_private, then log out and log in. You'll loose any customized settings, but it works.

yzfvie
August 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
I found out that to get a terminal screen, I created a folder and opened it. I then went to /usr/bin and opened gnome-terminal executable file.

I tried commands as per WOJOX post and had no results. After the 4 commands lines, nothing happened.

Any other ideas?
Thanks for the quick suggestions.

yzfvie
August 22nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks jkarcz for your input.
I will try this tomorrow.

startrekker
August 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
I had a similar issue with my Eee900 after an upgrade the gnome-panel and window manager stopped loading at launch. Alt-F2 did not open the run launcher for me. I had to right-click (option click for those using a different mouse configuration) and create a launcher for the gnome-panel. This works to get the panel up. Then I launch metacity with the terminal. It does not startup automatically, but I will try the instructions in the post from Wojox.

startrekker
August 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I had a similar issue with my Eee900 after an upgrade the gnome-panel and window manager stopped loading at launch. Alt-F2 did not open the run launcher for me. I had to right-click (option click for those using a different mouse configuration) and create a launcher for the gnome-panel. This works to get the panel up. Then I launch metacity with the terminal. It does not startup automatically, but I will try the instructions in the post from Wojox.

:( that did not fix my issue.

yzfvie
August 24th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. After trying one thing after another, I decided I had spent too much time on the problem and did a fresh installed of 9.04. I did not really have anything critical on the system anyway.

Thanks.