PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New HDD

okayneil
August 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting a new HDD installed in the next few days and I was wondering if there was anything I should look out for? I have a SATA drive so obviously the new one needs to be SATA too but that's as far as my hard drive knowledge goes.

I just don't want to be conned out of lots of cash.

okayneil
August 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Bump

cascade9
August 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Well, apart from brand issues, like 'I dont like seagate' 'hitachi still uses the old IMB deathstar, er, deskstar, name' 'samsung doesn't make nice drives' etc., theres only a few things to look for.

Is it for a laptop or a desktop? if its for a laptop, remember that they use 2.5'', not 3.5'' like desktops. Most of them only have 1 hdd slot, so your going to have to remove the current hdd to install a new one. If for desktop, check to make sure that you have the space for a 2nd hdd, some cases have limited numbers of 3.5'' bays.

Check prices at a few places. I've seen prices vary quite a bit depending on where you go, like the same drive for $100 at one store, $200 at another.

If your installing it yourself, which normally saves you a few $$$, be careful. Its not a hard job, but if you knock of a capcitor of your mobo you will not be happy.

If your getting it installed by someone else, dont pay to much for the job. It should only take about 5 minutes to install, dont pay $50 US + just for a hdd install.

BTW, 1TB drives are nice and cheap now, and probably the 'sweet spot' for best $$$ for space. Some of the 3.5'' desktop drives are 'only' 5400RPM, but still quite speedy for that. Virtually any of the 1TB 7200 RPM drives will be faster than what you've got now.

Nice review on 1TB drives-
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/1tb-14hdd-roundup.html

Personally, I would be looking at a hitachi deskstar e7k1000 or WD 1001fals for best speed, or a WD10eads for a storage drive.