PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Jaunty Over Hardy?

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Is this possible? I've got 2 partitions on my hard drive, one for hardy and one for XP. I don't want to create a new partition, but I don't want to delete my hardy partition, so can I just install over it? I just got my Jaunty cd today so I'm wanting to do so.

snowpine
August 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yes you can install Jaunty on your existing Hardy partition. Use the "Manual" option when you get to the Partitioner step of the install. It will delete everything on your Hardy partition, so make sure you've backed up all of your data first. (Also good to back up the data on your Windows partition, just in case you make a mistake.)

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ok, so do I delete my hardy partion, and then from that create a new partition for jaunty?

dsavi
August 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Small correction- It deletes everything but /home. Although I would recommend backing up /home anyway.

snowpine
August 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, so do I delete my hardy partion, and then from that create a new partition for jaunty?
Yes, that should work fine.

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, I'm gonna try this installation and then I'll post back on it's success.

fishy6969
August 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm sure you've already considered this, but how about an upgrade via 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' and upgrade from hardy -> intrepid, then repeat for intrepid -> jaunty?

Settings inc home folders #SHOULD# be preserved.

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I've considered that, but I had a bad experience upgrading from kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04. Now I've heard that that particular kubuntu upgrade has problems, but after my experience I don't want to risk it. Plus with my internet that would take a minimum of 6 hours.

peakshysteria
August 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'm sure you've already considered this, but how about an upgrade via 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' and upgrade from hardy -> intrepid, then repeat for intrepid -> jaunty?

Settings inc home folders #SHOULD# be preserved.

I use this method every time. Always worked smooth for us on all our four machines. Going from Hardy it's important to follow The Release schedule as fishy6969 mentions. After that all should be happy days :)

UpgradeNotes
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes)
Or you could always download the ISO and install from scratch. Takes about 25 minutes to install once you have the ISO burnt.

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well a tad late for that. The installation's already started. Plus there wasn't really anything on my ubuntu partition. I'm installing this on the home computer, and my family mostly uses XP. So that's where all of our stuff is, incase this does go wrong we do have a backup, so I'm just praying for the best here.

On top of that my internet is ridiculously slow. It's a step above dial-up and I'm lucky to get 80 Kb/s of download speed.

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Ok, the installation's finished, so here's the results.

It's a success!!!

Installation went smoothly, XP is untouched, and Jaunty is working beautifully. I'm installing updates for it, and then I've got some tweaking to do after that.

snowpine
August 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Good luck with Jaunty! I think it is the best Ubuntu release yet. :)

rajcan
August 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Well everything works so far except for desktop effects. Apparently my video card is blacklisted and so I can't start compiz. I was running compiz on hardy so jaunty should support it. Isn't there a way to unblacklist your video card?

russu52
August 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, that should work fine.

i agree, it should. tried it:)

kaptain0
August 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
to save your settings from one installation to another if you're doing a full install instead of an internet upgrade, you had to set your /home to a separate partition. that way whenever you install again, you just reuse the root partition, since that's all that needs to be changed and it doesn't contain your settings.

but you'd have had to put home in a separate partition when you installed hardy for that to matter