PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Create Multiple Sessions?

CeeJayCee
August 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
I use Ubuntu on my laptop. When at my desk I use an external monitor and the built-in lcd - on each screen I have a panel that displays the open windows on that monitor.

When I am mobile, without a second monitor, both of these panels are displayed on the same monitor. I have to manually add / remove the panel and window list when I switch to / from monitor configurations.

I would like to be able to either:

Create multiple login sessions for gnome, one for mobile and one when at my desk that configures the gnome panels appropriately.
Have a script that I can run that adds/removes the gnome panels depending on whether there is a single / dual monitor setup.

Are either of the above possible? I can't seem to find anything on multiple gnome sessions in Jaunty, and everything I've tried to add / remove panels doesn't seem to work.

DiegoDeEscocia
November 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to do something very similar without luck. I note that you haven't had any replies here :-(

I'm trying to be able to run several sessions of either the same or different window managers simulataneously using both the same user account and other ones.

I used to do this without problem on Ubuntu 6.04 LTS (I'd actually added KDE to this so was runing Kubuntu + regular Gnome) and I could happily have myself logged in using both KDE and Gnome simulataneously and open another account to log in a guest with a different username on either....

Any help with this on 9.10 would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

Barriehie
February 1st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'm trying to do this also...

Barriehie
February 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Gottit! I'm not running jaunty so your mileage may vary but falconindy responded in my thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1394931).

Barrie