PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty Installation Issues

bman2u
August 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
First post, and new user of Ubuntu.

I am trying to dual boot Jaunty and XP (for now) on an IDE and SATA drive respectively. XP has been successfully running for a while now, but I've been having issues installing and running Jaunty on the IDE drive. My first attempt at an install crashed partway thru partitioning the drive, so I rebooted, tried again and got it to completely install. Booting up for the first time, I tried to run some apps like Synaptic and Firefox, but they crashed prior to loading, so I figured I'd try updating from the terminal using apt-get update && upgrade commands. Something went wrong during the update and I started getting errors. Looked up the errors on the forums and attempted to fix them. Long story short, something got screwed up and I said fug it, instead of dealing with the errors and going in circles I'll do a fresh install.

Attempted to install again and it crashed two more times during installation. Finally got it to install the third time and began running everything seemed to be OK for a couple minutes. No apps crashing, connected to my network then went to run Synaptic to update everything and halfway through the update, Synaptic crashed and the PC froze. Went to restart and something was corrupted and it would't reboot into Ubuntu.

Hardware seems to be ok:
Epox EP-8KDA3+pro
Amd 64 Sempron 3400+
Radeon 9800 Pro
3Gb of memory

Possibly an issue with the installation disk. I burned the ISO at as slow of a speed as possible.

I've read some on the forums and gone through the pocket guide and stuff so I'm not going in completely blind, but there is definitely something I'm not doing right.

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for the lengthy first post.

Any thoughts on why I can't get it to run or what the fug is going on?

realzippy
August 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Check the CD for errors....
Have you overclocked your CPU or RAM?

bman2u
August 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
No, I haven't overclocked either.

Do you know of any software to check the CD? It may be worth it to try to burn the ISO again.

Edit - There is a check for errors prompt in the installation isn't there? I'll have to do it when I get home.