PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ati 4xxx gfx card compatibility

archish
August 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I am planning to get a new laptop and found many good deals with ATI 4XXX graphics cards.

My current laptop is based on nvidia 8400gs chipset and the nvidia proprietary drivers are quite good with no problmes in 2D and 3D performance. The VDPAU support for HD content decoding is also very nice.

Since I am not used or experienced ATI and heard of lot of driver issues, how safe is it to get a ATI 4xxx series based laptop. Are there any performance issues? Will compiz and and 3D run fine? I did search on HD content decoding support with ATI and found XvMC but I fear its not properly implemented?

Please do chip in with your comments. Thanks!!

matthewbpt
August 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
If you want to decode HD content I suggest sticking with NVidia, I don't think the XvMC is properly implemented yet, and ATI cards always seem to have more issues than NVidia cards on Linux. As far as compiz and 3d goes, I had trouble getting both to work on a ATI hd3200 card, I haven't had experience with a 4xxx card though.

markbuntu
August 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well, ati has had xVBA code (ati equvalent to vdpau) in their driver for a long time now but have yet to do anything with it or tell anyone how to use it.