PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] winkey+e doesn't work with short tap

Zeemvel
August 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
In Keyboard Shortcuts under the settings, I set "Home folder" to Mod4+E. Mod4 is the "windows" key.

I'm used to shortly tapping winkey+e to open the home folder. But in Gnome in Ubuntu, a short tap doesn't work. I have to hold winkey+e a little bit longer than a "short" tap to open the home folder window.

This little delay is a little bit too long, I'd like it to work with a short tap, like a normal shortcut key combination does.

Also, if I hold winkey+e for two seconds, then not one, not two, but FIFTEEN "home folder" windows pop up. It's as if the e key repeats itself 15 times in two seconds. Obviously, I don't want 15 home folder windows when pressing this shortcut key combination a bit too long.

So basically, I can't press it too short, but also not too long.

Is there a way to make the behaviour of this shortcut better?

Thanks.

coldReactive
August 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Do you have compiz on with Expo disabled?

Zeemvel
August 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
It's gnome Version: 2.26.1, and Ubuntu version 9.04.

About having compiz: I don't know. This is a PC at work which I didn't install. I think that:

-if a stock Ubuntu 9.04 doesn't come with Compiz, it probably won't be installed on this PC
-if wobbly windows are not a standard feature of Gnome 2.26.1, then Compiz probably IS installed on this PC, because I can enable wobbly windows by setting effects to maximum.

So do you think this system will have compiz on it or not? :)

coldReactive
August 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
All Ubuntu versions (Kubuntu comes with kwin, and Xubuntu comes with its own compositing manager) since 8.04 come with compiz, just not enabled if the driver doesn't support it.

So yes, you have compiz, and yes, it can be used as you have demonstrated.

Does having desktop effects set to none help your issue? Because compiz has Expo, which relies on <Super>+E (Windows Key + E)