PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to choose which programms to install at first system installation?

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hi,
i use ubuntu 9.04 but i donīt use lot of programs (pidgin, exiga, evolution). Normally, i deinstall them in synaptic, but there remain lot of other depended data files and programms (e.g. gnome-games-when i remove them i need to manually remove gnome-cards-data; with other programms i have no clue wich dependencies i need to remove).

Is it possible to choose which programms i want to be installed at first installation (so that i can avoid to install e.g gnome-cards-data?
I install it with USB Stick on dell mini9.

MrWES
August 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hi,
i use ubuntu 9.04 but i donīt use lot of programs (pidgin, exiga, evolution). Normally, i deinstall them in synaptic, but there remain lot of other depended data files and programms (e.g. gnome-games-when i remove them i need to manually remove gnome-cards-data; with other programms i have no clue wich dependencies i need to remove).

Is it possible to choose which programms i want to be installed at first installation (so that i can avoid to install e.g gnome-cards-data?
I install it with USB Stick on dell mini9.

From a terminal windows type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

That will clean up any left overs.

Bill

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
From a terminal windows type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

That will clean up any left overs.

Bill

Well, i did that, but i still get for e.g. pidgin-data new updates... I mean does it really remove all dependencies?

ell02
August 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM
perhaps deborphan would be helpfull.

pawhtiobo
August 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi :)

You can also install this (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/), it has some tools to track broken packages/dependencies and configurations files that you don't need anymore.

see ya...

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
perhaps deborphan would be helpfull.

What is that? Is that programm more useful as apt-get autoremove?

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ok, so this means that i actually have to install all programs that are set on distros USB, and only after system installation can remove them?

Hi

You can also install this, it has some tools to track broken packages/dependencies and configurations files that you don't need anymore.

see ya...

Well, i just want something simple-not sure if i need that tool...

pawhtiobo
August 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
Its simmilar in some way, but got a GUI, and you can see witch packages, kernel and configuration files are no longer being used, just give it a try...if you don't like it, just remove it :D

see ya...

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Its simmilar in some way, but got a GUI, and you can see witch packages, kernel and configuration files are no longer being used, just give it a try...if you don't like it, just remove it :D

see ya...

Ok, i installed it - can i have some
how to to find these old -not needed depencies?

To work something with packages i need to enter my password. Correct?

By "packages cleaning", after i enterred password i have these files: should i mark them and remove them-is that right place?

howefield
August 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM

Might be easier to start with a minimal install and work up, rather than starting with the full install and working out what you don't need.

Something along the lines of this..

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20081215#feature

pawhtiobo
August 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ok, i installed it - can i have some to find these old -not needed depencies?

To work something with packages i need to enter my password. Correct?

By "packages cleaning", after i enterred password i have these files: should i mark them and remove them-is that right place?

yes thats the right place :), you mark them to remove...

see ya...

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Might be easier to start with a minimal install and work up, rather than starting with the full install and working out what you don't need.

Something along the lines of this..

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...081215#feature

Well that was actually what i was looking, but i am newbie to linux so it seems to me that i could have lot of problems if i install it on my dell mini 9-drivers, some programms-i thought that there was some graphical interface in which you can select needed programs and over.
Thanks

vickoxy
August 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ok, so it seems that ubuntu-tweak removes some programms, but i have one question. I deinstalled pidgin, but pidgin-data are still in synaptic. Why it is not removed? Or some other programm needs this package?

Should i trust synaptic and leave behind all that it left after programm deinstallation?

I do not know if you understand my question? E.g. if i install vlc- i need to install 30-40 dependancies to run it. But if i choose to deinstall vlc, synaptic removes only vlc and maybe 2-3 other files.

pawhtiobo
August 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Ok, so it seems that ubuntu-tweak removes some programms, but i have one question. I deinstalled pidgin, but pidgin-data are still in synaptic. Why it is not removed? Or some other programm needs this package?

Should i trust synaptic and leave behind all that it left after programm deinstallation?

I do not know if you understand my question? E.g. if i install vlc- i need to install 30-40 dependancies to run it. But if i choose to deinstall vlc, synaptic removes only vlc and maybe 2-3 other files.

I understand you question, well...i'm not sure, but Ubuntu Tweak should have also placed "pidgin data" in the list of removal, because is not in use anymore....about vlc, i think the Ubuntu tweak should see all the other files that are not in use, but i can't test it right now, because i'm using a Bill Gates Box...loll

see ya...