PDA

View Full Version : Which video card?

PatrickMay16
February 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM
I've been thinking of getting a new video card, not because I want faster performance, but because I've been having lockups and freezes with my current video card.
I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (RV250) that I've had since 2002 which worked fine in windows, but hasn't worked so reliably in Linux.
Basically, I'm looking for a video card that will work reliably in Linux.

What would you recommend?

Elvish Legion
February 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM
nVidia

TechSonic
February 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM
I have an ATI Radeon 9250 Pro T128 and it runs fine for me. Just change the screen rez under root mode and the hurz can be set to 60hurz but then again my desktop size gets any bigger then 1024x768 then I can't use 60hurz.. Not sure why, in windows I was able to go way higher then that under 60.

ember
February 2nd, 2006, 02:03 AM
If you want to play some games, consider a Nvidia 6600 GT - they offer a pretty good perfomance/price ratio.

poofyhairguy
February 2nd, 2006, 02:10 AM
If you want to play some games, consider a Nvidia 6600 GT - they offer a pretty good perfomance/price ratio.

Heck I just have one of those for desktop use. Works great with everything (composite, dual head, etc). Have you tried the free driver for your current card? I would love to play with the features of that driver more myself.

ember
February 2nd, 2006, 02:25 AM
I abandoned the free driver right after installation because it seemed considerably slower than the nvidia one. So I did not try out any of its features.

poofyhairguy
February 2nd, 2006, 02:50 AM
I abandoned the free driver right after installation because it seemed considerably slower than the nvidia one. So I did not try out any of its features.

I was not talking about the Nvidia free driver. It kinda sucks.

ember
February 2nd, 2006, 03:03 AM
Ah sorry - I thought you were addressing me. Just noticed that you have probably been talking about the Radeon driver.

rfruth
February 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
My ATI PCI-E does fine by me but I have no heavy graphics requirements :-D

BLTicklemonster
February 2nd, 2006, 03:20 AM
NVIDIA for sure. Especially if you are going to be gaming. I have an ati 9200se 128 meg card on the shelf and an NVIDIA MX400 32 meg in my computer. Guess which one I'm happier with?

(hint: it's not the one on the shelf)

TechSonic
February 2nd, 2006, 03:45 AM
I have an nVidia Geforce 4 MX 4000 with dual ram dac both at 350mhz and 128 mbs of DDR ram in it. But My ATI Radeon RX9250 has way better performance levels.

poofyhairguy
February 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
I have an nVidia Geforce 4 MX 4000 with dual ram dac both at 350mhz and 128 mbs of DDR ram in it. But My ATI Radeon RX9250 has way better performance levels.

Thats because the Nvidia card is far weaker. A Geforce 4 MX 4000 would get beaten by a Geforce 2 in most tests.

BLTicklemonster
February 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
There's no doubt that my Radeon is the superior card, but when I play Unreal Tournament, the mouse sits back drinking gin and tonic and is all drunk. Way way way "retarded" movement. Now if someone could answer why it is like that, and what to do to make it accurate and move when I move, I'll try it again, but when I am getting 90 fps but when I move, then the mouse moves a tenth of a second later, my game is way off. Granted I don't compete on any ladders (if I wanted to play aimbotters, I'd just go find Lamp, you know.), but I would like to be able to have my mouse go where I want it to. And it's only in UT. I have tried changing the mouse settings, but it has no effect. Ideas anyone? ...last night I had a really tough time against people I normally do extremely well against... well, except xequence, he just started hitting our server, so I don't know about him, lol.

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
nVidia all the way!!!;) I recommend GeForce 6600

Lord Illidan
February 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
I also recommend Nvidia's graphics cards. How about a 6800 GT or a 7800 one? Nice performance.. but you might want some more money!

mstlyevil
February 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
If you are going to buy a replacement card I would have to say get NVIDIA. They have the best drivers and support for Linux. How much you want to spend should determine the card you want to buy. If you want to just spen $120-$130 USD then get the 6600GT. If you have a $100 USD more to spend you should go for the replacement for the 6600GT and get the 6800 GS. The 6800 GS is the best mid range card on the market for price vs performance. You could still get a ATI card but there are features that just will not work as well in Linux even with the open drivers. (Damn I wished ATI and Nvidia would release their specs so we could get great open source drivers.)

mstlyevil
February 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
I also recommend Nvidia's graphics cards. How about a 6800 GT or a 7800 one? Nice performance.. but you might want some more money!

The 6800 GS performs the same as the 6800 GT at a lower price. They replaced the entire 6800 series with it.

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
well, except xequence, he just started hitting our server, so I don't know about him, lol.

Im just THAT good =P

Heh. Its odd. Some games I will do extremly well, and others I wont. Like... Drasticly different =P