PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NVidia GeForce Card problem

Stephen Shellard
August 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I have just purchased an NVidia Geforce FX5200 128MB AGP Card in the hope of making some modest improvement to my computer.

I fitted the card into my P4M800PRO-V1.0 motherboard, as per instructions re static etc. I refitted the video cable to the new board and started up. The screen was blank from the outset. Returning the video cable to the original terminal made no difference. Consequently I have removed the card and have reverted to my original system, which is working fine.

In an effort to get things moving I have done a couple of things, each time refitting the card to try out the changes:

Upgraded the BIOS on the motherboard with a flash download.
Tried resetting the BIOS for an AGP option.

I noted a suggestion in one forum which was to "disable integrated video in the BIOS prior to installing the card" but I can see no such option in my BIOS.

None of this has made any difference.

POST SCRIPT I have now tested the card in another computer [which already had a graphics card fitted] and this has confirmed that the card is working. I have now emailed ECS Elite Group Technical support - manufacturers of the motherboard, for advice on how to edit the BIOS of the motherboard in my own machine so that it will pick up the card.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I contacted the support for the motherboard who advised adjusting the voltage setting in BIOS for the new card on a trial and error basis. I changed the setting from 0.05v to 0.8V [there was also a .15V option]. This picked up the card first time. I then went into System/Administration/Hardware Drivers which immediately identified and recommended a driver for the card, downloaded it and installed it.

Shazaam
August 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
"I fitted the card into my P4M800PRO-V1.0 motherboard, as per instructions re static etc. I refitted the video cable to the new board and started up. The screen was blank from the outset. Returning the video cable to the original terminal made no difference. Consequently I have removed the card and have reverted to my original system, which is working fine."
"I noted a suggestion in one forum which was to "disable integrated video in the BIOS prior to installing the card" but I can see no such option in my BIOS."

Does your pc still run with the add-on card removed?
Does your motherboard have an "on-board" or "integrated" graphics chip?

When you look in your pc's bios it may be listed under "Integrated Peripherals" or "Onboard Devices". If it is a Dell pc it will be worded differently such as "Add-on Device".

Stephen Shellard
August 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Does your pc still run with the add-on card removed?
Does your motherboard have an "on-board" or "integrated" graphics chip?

When you look in your pc's bios it may listed under "Integrated Peripherals" or "Onboard Devices". If it is a Dell pc it will be worded differently such as "Add-on Device".

Yes, my PC runs with the motherboard removed.
Yes my motherboard has an integrated graphics chip. Here's some more details from the manual.

P4M800PRO • High performance Northbridge with 1066 /800/533 MHz FSB
(NB) for P4/Celeron D processors
• V-Link 533 MB/s high bandwidth North/South Bridge inter-
connect
• Integrated UniChrome Pro 3D/2D Graphics & Video Control-
ler, Microsoft DirectX 9.0 compatible, OpenGL supported
• Supports for AGP 8X/4X, AGP v3.0 compliant with 1.5V
• Advanced 64-bit DDR2 and DDR400 SDRAM controller

It's a Zoostorm PC by the way.

Here is a link to some screenshots from my manual for the motherboard which seem most relevant. http://www.flickr.com/photos/carruchan/?saved=1

Thanks for your attention. Much appreciated.