View Full Version : [ubuntu] Whispers out of laptop. Need it louder

August 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite. I get sound out of it, but even with both the headphone and computer volume maxed out, I can barely hear what I'm listening to over a crowded cafeteria. It has to be dead quiet around for me to hear what im listening to like a person next to me.

Is this a hardware issue or is there a way I can get more sound pumped into my headphones?

August 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
If you left click on the audio panel icon, then click on "Volume Control" (below the volume slider) you may be able to increase the PCM output to help.

August 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
That worked a little, the headphone volume at the computer level wasn't maxed. it now can drown out the TV that's in the room.

Still, one would expect that, with all volumes maxed out, my ears should be close to bleeding. Im not hard of hearing or anything.:?

August 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
It may be hardware, I'm not sure. I know my Presario's external speakers are really quiet even with everything maxed, but headphones seem to be fine. Not that you wouldn't have considered this, but your headphones don't have an inline volume adjustment do they?

That's about all I have for suggestions =/ Perhaps one of the forum geniuses can weigh in with a more helpful answer.

August 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
The headphones have a volume knob on the cord, yes.

When used with my Walkman SRF 59 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JQ06/ref=asc_df_B00006JQ06886171?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B00006JQ06) and the Walkman volume maxed out, I barely need to up the volume on the cord from minimum. (of course, sound degrades when I do that, so the Walkman is set lowish and my headphones are set high)