PDA

View Full Version : Browser preloads pages?

Warpnow
August 21st, 2009, 04:35 AM
I upgraded to FF3.5, and...I noticed it was taking longer to load pages. Alot longer.

I also noticed it displayed the entire site to me at one time. If I load a massive picture, it shows it all at one time. Other browsers, including the old version of FF I had, loaded it slowly.

Which do you prefer? Does it matter to you?

I am definitely annoyed by it preloading.

PurposeOfReason
August 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM
My speeds are fast enough that it doesn't matter. :popcorn:

Warpnow
August 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
I have a 6mb connection and it still results in a half second delay.

Some larger websites load several mbs worth of image/data, which isn't instaneous on any internet connection.

Greg
August 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Not to mention that a connection works two ways- the server needs to be able to supply information fast enough.

blithen
August 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
I prefer for it to load once.
It's seems kind of odd to say I want it to load instantly other then a second or two of delay, but I want to see my stuff now! >:C

chessnerd
August 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
When I investigated other browsers I noticed that IE loaded images all at once and that Firefox loaded them from the top down. The IE way was slightly faster, but the Firefox way felt quicker because you started getting data right away. I think Firefox may have changed it to save a few milliseconds of load time for images/pages.

Personally, I really like using Opera because it has an intelligent loading engine (is that a term?) in that it loads text first, then it starts to format everything, then it loads images (unless, of course, the web page is designed to not work that way) and it has a built in feature that allows you to decide whether or not to load images at all. It works great on my grandparent's dial up because the text is usually what you want to see first. Of course, if you have cable or faster then this doesn't matter as much. :)

PurposeOfReason
August 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
I have a 6mb connection and it still results in a half second delay.

Some larger websites load several mbs worth of image/data, which isn't instaneous on any internet connection.
I never said instantaneous, I said it didn't matter.

MikeTheC
August 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
Ubuntu 3.5.x on Mac OS X 10.5.8, Ubuntu 9.04 and Vista all work flawlessly here for me.

t0p
August 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
I've got a pretty slow connection (3G/HSDPA), and I can tell you that FF3.5 does not load pages "all at once". I just checked www.eternal-september.org (http://www.eternal-september.org) - first of all the title at the top of the page loads, then the text, then images.

I prefer 3.5 to 3, as the new version is much faster.

Lavaeagle
August 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
I prefer my pages to load at once

I'm not a huge fan of 3.5 though