PDA

View Full Version : CrunchBang vs Icebuntu

entropy1
August 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
What are the pros and cons of CrunchBang vs Icebuntu for a low-resource machine?

Does the Icebuntu ISO provide a LiveCD?

wojox
August 21st, 2009, 01:14 AM
I'd go with crunchbang. It's more stable.

Icebuntu is still in alpha 2.

jaxxstorm
August 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM
What are the pros and cons of CrunchBang vs Icebuntu for a low-resource machine?

Does the Icebuntu ISO provide a LiveCD?

Yes, the Icebuntu ISO is a Live CD, it also includes the ability to install to the HDD using ubiquity.

I would consider it stable, but there are still a few bugs which mean I wouldn't consider it "ready" just yet. Any updates will be pushed through synaptic anyway, so if you're willing to take the plunge - go for it. I personally think Icebuntu is lighter than Crunchbang and better suited to old machines.

Thanks

Jaxx - Icebuntu lead developer.

binbash
August 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
Both are good but i prefer Crunchbang. It uses around 50 -70 mb of ram after a couple of optimizations and it is really fast. However i removed around 150 packages to make it lighter.

earthpigg
August 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Both are good but i prefer Crunchbang. It uses around 50 -70 mb of ram after a couple of optimizations and it is really fast. However i removed around 150 packages to make it lighter.

#! has a 'light' version that comes without the bloat :)

entropy1
August 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Has anyone compared the pros and cons (and lightness) of Masonux with Crunchbang Lite and/or Icebuntu?

alexlafreniere
August 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm going to say go with CrunchBang, Openbox is so light it barely even has menus and it's been super stable in my experience.

manilaph
December 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
How about Crunchbang vs Lubuntu?

Which is lighter and faster?

Is Lubuntu more supported by the Ubuntu Dev team?

earthpigg
December 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
a lubuntu .iso does not exist yet :D

and honestly? the differences between all the releases mentioned in this thread?

very very trivial.

ubuntu is crunchbang is icebuntu is kubuntu is masonux.

same package management, same repositories, same (rough) release schedule, same security flaws & benefits, same firefox, same openoffice, etc.

the only significant technical difference is packages installed. if you know your way around a command line, go ahead and do a minimal command line only install and build from there.

if not, here (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/home/notes-to-myself) is a rough guide you can follow to getting a basic Karmic Koala LXDE desktop that will use about 1gb of hard drive space and well under 100mb of RAM once installed.

it takes about 5 terminal commands.

LXDE is pretty snappy, too.

entropy1
December 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
earthpigg's short list of installation commands is very easy to follow. A few months ago, I used his terminal commands to do a small installation. Those commands came in handy again last week when I was doing an ordinary alternate install that had problems. It only booted into a terminal. But from their I knew what commands would install the rest of the system :)

The Real Dave
December 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Crunchbang is great :) Light and quick, but stable, little to really set up, and all the hardware support. I love it :) Though, I've been meaning to try out Spri Linux :)

squilookle
December 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I've been using Crunchbang since September, and have been vry happy with it.

Very fast, very stable, and the best choice of default apps you could ask for. :)

Flash, mp3, dvd support out of the box too.

manilaph
December 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM
when will we have a downloadable .iso livecd for Icebuntu?

it would also be nice to have readily-made remasters of Ubuntu with:

FVWM-Crystal
Enlightenment (OpenGeu seems to have taken a long vacation)
Window Maker (just recently read about this http://www.osnews.com/story/22570/Window_Maker_Your_NeXT_Window_Manager)

crunchbang is fine but i have sound problems which some other users also have. when i plug-in my headphones to my laptop, the sounds from the laptop speakers are still "on"... in short, sound comes out from the headphones and laptop speakers at the same time. To kill one is to kill both.

chillyomi
December 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Well you could use Icebuntu one of my old machines has it and it works great the colors are also awesome however i cant judge cause i have never used crunchbang

MooPi
December 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Anyone thats familiar with Ubuntu and Linux can create without much trouble a light and stable setup with the "Ubuntu minimal CD". Just today I used it to create a media box from an Intel Atom shoebox computer. Boots up to 48 mb of ram, with three utilities at startup. I doubt if I'll ever put a full install on again.

pookiebear
December 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
just switched my work laptop over to crunchbang.
just had to install the latest release of the open ati driver to get the screen flicker to stop.
Very nice now.
idle it is at 200mb less ram used then ubuntu. (around 150 after bootup with conky running) with my config.
I prefer openbox to gnome.