PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help at installation - step 4

dillonrabbit
August 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hi all,

I am a new linux user and only recently installed ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-NR38M). It worked fine for a few days but then it said that there was an "unclean shutdown" and that i should try to run FSCK manually. I did this by following advice on other forums. When FSCK was running it said it found "errors" - it gave me the option to ignore (y) and to Force Overwrite (y). I agreed yes to both.

now when i turn it on i get "error 17" and nothing else.

I've tried to re-install ubuntu but i can only get as far as step 4 "Prepare Partitions" - it is blank, there are no drives visible and nothing for me to select.

The buttons at the bottom - "new partition table" "new partition" "edit partition" "delete partition" are greyed out.

Does any know how i can fix this?

I considered taking the drive out of my laptop and reformatting it, would this help or is it more likely that there is a hardware issue with the drive itself?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, i'm sorry if i'm not very specific with my description of the problem.

Regards,

DR

wojox
August 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
Boot of the LiveCD.
Open a terminal:

sudo grub

Then
root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

exit

Reboot (removing the livecd), and your boot menu should be back.

mick222
August 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
should last command not be quit

Pumalite
August 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Right

dillonrabbit
August 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM
Thank you all for your quick replies,

When i type "root (hd0,0)" i get the following error message

Error 21: Selected disc does not exist

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, i am currently trying to find a solution online myself.

Thank you

wojox
August 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Boot of the LiveCD again and open System > Admin > Partition Editor
Wipe out the partitions and start over.

dillonrabbit
August 21st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Thank you for the help again:)

I've tried going to partition editor - it scans for devices then gives the message "No devices detected" ?

I also tried "find /boot/grub/stage1" and this gave me error 15: file not found

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i'd be happy to try a different linux OS if this would solve the problem?

raymondh
August 21st, 2009, 03:05 AM
Hope this site (http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#17) and this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=442945) can help you diagnose/correct error 17.