PDA

View Full Version : Personal xorg.conf

sharpdust
August 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
So I do not like the xorg.conf that is set up and I would like to load a custom one when I log in (I do not have root permission so I cannot edit the one in /etc/X11).
How would I go about doing this?

Mia1990
August 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM
you can get root by typing gksu nautilus in the terminal and from there you can edit your xorg file.Make sure you back your xorg file up before editing it

sharpdust
August 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
you can get root by typing gksu nautilus in the terminal and from there you can edit your xorg file.Make sure you back your xorg file up before editing it

First of all I don't have Ubuntu, it's a very bare bones Red Hat Enterprise edition. So I don't have nautilus.
Second of all, that doesn't make any sense. Why would I get root by typing that command if I don't have the root password (and I'm not in the sudoers file)?

Mia1990
August 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
First of all I don't have Ubuntu, it's a very bare bones Red Hat Enterprise edition. So I don't have nautilus.
Second of all, that doesn't make any sense. Why would I get root by typing that command if I don't have the root password (and I'm not in the sudoers file)?

You said nothing about not having ubuntu...You posted on the ubuntu forums if you not running ubuntu or some variant of ubuntu say so and you said nothing about not having the password
your post sounds like you don't know how to get root "in ubuntu".Your post doesn't make any sense if your running red hat try there forums...

sharpdust
August 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
You said nothing about not having ubuntu...You posted on the ubuntu forums if you not running ubuntu or some variant of ubuntu say so and you said nothing about not having the password
your post sounds like you don't know how to get root "in ubuntu".Your post doesn't make any sense if your running red hat try there forums...

I apologize, but I cannot make out what you are saying. Your English grammar is a little weak.

This is something that deals with X11, which pretty much all desktop environments run off of. So it's not a matter of the Linux distribution.
Also, I said in my initial post that I don't have root permission (I figured it would be assumed that this computer is not mine and the administrators have not given me root access).

Can someone please tell me if this is possible or not?

andrea000
August 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
There is only one way you need root permission to
edit anything there going to have to give you root or
you can't do it.In the future give as much information
as you can after i read this post i can see were the
other girl was confused i had to read all the post
before i knew what your problem was.

Elfy
August 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I suggest you talk to the administrators about the issue.