PDA

View Full Version : Laptops with Pre-Installed Linux

amsum
August 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I want to buy a new laptop with pre-installed linux (any linux distro will do). But after exploring various online stores, it is really disappointing that there are very few choices for linux users. There are few models from Dell and HP, but they are still very limited with not so high configurations or very expensive. Though my friends are suggesting me to have a decent MS laptop and then reinstall Linux on it. But my question is if I don't want to have MS then why should I pay for it (assuming MS cost is bundled into laptop cost). So, I am just wondering whether manufacturers don't see profits in making Linux oriented laptops or is it just arm-twisting my MS to dominate the OS market.

Theoretically, for the same configuration, the Linux laptops must come $150-$200 cheaper but practically it is other way around. Sad...

Keen101
August 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Yes it's an interesting time for operating systems right now. I suspect in the future microsoft will be fiercely competing with "new technologies" from Google, Canonical, etc... and things will change. HP and Dell are the first to wake up to this senario, but admittedly are slow and are only dipping one toe in at the moment.

You can stubbornly refuse to accept the microsoft EULA and your manufacturer will refund some money, but you have to be really annoying.

There are some good ones that pre-install though

1. System76
2. zareason
3. psystar

Arla
August 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Probably some arm-twisting, lack of reason to create Linux notebooks (fairly minimal numbers of people want Linux computers).

Plus, I believe that OEM versions of MS for pre-install onto computers is actually relatively cheap.

Debra.S
August 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM
I did some asking around to people who have delved into the Ubuntu world, and the advice I got was to order the Dell. Admittedly, I just did so last night, so I have no real experience yet, but I do know that I could have gotten a slightly better computer for cheaper with Windows and had dh install Ubuntu... my concern was time. My laptop is already arriving after the semester starts and I didn't want to have to wait for dh to get it up and running, when he doesn't know Ubuntu any more than I do.

I guess I have no *real* advice for you, just telling you what I ended up doing.

Debra

nhasian
August 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM
you probably would get the most bang for your buck hardware-wise if you get an HP, Dell, or Acer with windows. If you can finagle a refund for the microsoft tax, you can probably save an additional $60-100 as well. If not then just blow away the windows partition but save the small 2 gig or 5 gig partition the manufacturer puts on the drive for system restore. that way in the future you can restore windows for when you resell your laptop to buy a new one :)

amsum
August 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yes it's an interesting time for operating systems right now. I suspect in the future microsoft will be fiercely competing with "new technologies" from Google, Canonical, etc... and things will change. HP and Dell are the first to wake up to this senario, but admittedly are slow and are only dipping one toe in at the moment.

You can stubbornly refuse to accept the microsoft EULA and your manufacturer will refund some money, but you have to be really annoying.

There are some good ones that pre-install though

1. System76
2. zareason
3. psystar

Alright, I will try from these stores. I do have one more doubt though... Is Windows OS is quite compatible with these Linux oriented laptops. Just in case if I want to dual boot or want to go back to Windows days.

JDorfler
August 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't mind finding a netbook with Ubuntu Netbook Remix pre-installed. That OS actually received the highest rating by Maximum PC for netbooks a few months ago. I've installed it on several soldier's EeePCes since I've been out here, plus a lot of distributions of Ubuntu and Linux Mint for the them as well.

Greg
August 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Alright, I will try from these stores. I do have one more doubt though... Is Windows OS is quite compatible with these Linux oriented laptops. Just in case if I want to dual boot or want to go back to Windows days.

If you're even considering that, then buy a Windows laptop.

LewRockwell
August 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
walmart offered a full-size full-functioning Toshiba laptop with 3GB of ram and perhaps a 320GB hard drive and a DVD burner for $348.00(Oops, we stand corrected $298.00)...new...in...box...

And if you don't want to dual boot with the Vista Home Basic...throw it out...

if it lasts a year that's a dollar a day...

if it lasts four years that's a quarter a day...

I'm still using a Toshiba with pre-2000 vintage components as a daily driver...

go figure...

aysiu
August 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
If you don't want to pay for a Windows license on a non-Apple laptop, you have a few options, and none is really ideal: Buy Linux preinstalled. The plus side is that you're voting with your wallet, and that kind of voting (more than a petition) matters to companies. If enough Linux users insist on buying Linux preinstalled, then companies will start to see Linux as profitable and start offering more Linux options and at better prices, eventually (economies of scale). The downside is that for pricing and variety, the Linux options are not always best. Buy a no-OS laptop. This is in many ways worse than the Linux preinstalled option. First of all, you will have fewer options, and you will have to install and configure things yourself... and research Linux-compatible hardware components. But at least you aren't buying a Windows license. Buy Windows preinstalled and try to fight for refund. The refund amount will not be worth your time, but if you want to vote with your wallet, here's another way to tell companies you don't want to buy a Windows license you don't want to use. The downsides are that you have to really document every step of the process, call in, write in, and fight to get a refund for the OEM license... and you still may not even get it. And you have to research the laptop for Linux compatibility. Buy Windows preinstalled and get no refund. This is the obvious choice for someone who actually plans to use Windows (as a dual-boot, for example), but this is the lamest option for someone who does not want Windows at all. You will have great selection, but you'll be counted by Microsoft as another Windows user, which means in the long run there will be less incensitve for OEMs to offer more Linux options.

LewRockwell
August 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
today, with all the equipment that is thrown away at curbside and out the back door of almost every business and factory...

no one really needs to buy any equipment "new" but if you're not interested in the fun of putting together a frankenbox then by all means pick up new stuff...it's definitely inexpensive enough

consider this, used laptop for $0 - $20.00, a PCMCIA wifi card for $0 - $10.00, open wifi spot, and you're in business

even if you pooled together with your roommates or fellow apartment complex dwellers you should be able to access the web for pennies a day

welcome to the Singularity!

Stan_1936
August 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
... Buy a no-OS laptop. This is in many ways worse than the Linux preinstalled option. First of all, you will have fewer options, and you will have to install and configure things yourself... and research Linux-compatible hardware components. But at least you aren't buying a Windows license. Buy Windows preinstalled and try to fight for refund. The refund amount will not be worth your time, but if you want to vote with your wallet, here's another way to tell companies you don't want to buy a Windows license you don't want to use. The downsides are that you have to really document every step of the process, call in, write in, and fight to get a refund for the OEM license... and you still may not even get it. And you have to research the laptop for Linux compatibility. Buy Windows preinstalled and get no refund. This is the obvious choice for someone who actually plans to use Windows (as a dual-boot, for example), but this is the lamest option for someone who does not want Windows at all. You will have great selection, but you'll be counted by Microsoft as another Windows user, which means in the long run there will be less incensitve for OEMs to offer more Linux options.

The problem with any of those 3 options is that you aren't guaranteed of hardware compatibility. With a Linux pre-installed laptop, you are.

amsum
August 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
After analysing all the posts, I think I should go with Linux pre-installed laptop and I don't mind even it is slightly on the expensive side.
Again I am repeating my question just out of curiousity (its not that I am going to use Windows anytime soon) does Windows works smoothly on linux based laptops or we need some tweaks to make is possible in the same manner what we do to make linux run on windows based laptops .

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
When I bought my most recent laptop I went to Dell's website.

I looked at the laptops they had with Linux pre-installed, and what hardware it was using. I then looked at the cost of upgrading the memory, disk, etc. to what I wanted.

I then looked at the laptops with Microsoft Windows pre-installed. Selected the system with the memory and disk space I wanted, and selected the same hardware options for such things as graphic and wireless chips.

I compared the price, and found the one with Microsoft Windows pre-installed less expensive.

I ordered it with similar wireless and graphics hardware to their Linux laptop. When I installed Ubuntu it worked perfectly.

It didn't cost me any more for the laptop that way nor did it cost me anything additional. I installed Ubuntu. I saved about 50 US$ for the hardware, which is about the cost of the Microsoft Windows OEM licence.

I'm didn't fight Dell over the Microsoft Windows license I didn't use because I make more than 50 US$ an hour; therefore, I wasn't worth the effort.

hanzomon4
August 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM
More then 50 an hour.... One day this college education will be worth all the ramen noodle suppers I've had to endure.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
More then 50 an hour.... One day this college education will be worth all the ramen noodle suppers I've had to endure.

Stay with college, and get the most out of it you can. With salary, insurance contributions, 401K matching, and bonuses, I make 70 US$ an hour. I also have a pension that I can't put a monetary value on. Yes, about three times the average household income. I don't live in an expensive part of the country either. I also paid for my wife to get a degree, and she makes 40 US$ an hour as well, plus 401K matching and bonuses.

I know what you mean. I ate a lot of beans, macaroni, and rice when I was in college. :)

speedwell68
August 23rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
when i bought my most recent laptop i went to dell's website.

I looked at the laptops they had with linux pre-installed, and what hardware it was using. I then looked at the cost of upgrading the memory, disk, etc. To what i wanted.

I then looked at the laptops with microsoft windows pre-installed. Selected the system with the memory and disk space i wanted, and selected the same hardware options for such things as graphic and wireless chips.

I compared the price, and found the one with microsoft windows pre-installed less expensive.

I ordered it with similar wireless and graphics hardware to their linux laptop. When i installed ubuntu it worked perfectly.

It didn't cost me any more for the laptop that way nor did it cost me anything additional. I installed ubuntu. I saved about 50 us$ for the hardware, which is about the cost of the microsoft windows oem licence.

I'm didn't fight dell over the microsoft windows license i didn't use because i make more than 50 us$ an hour; therefore, i wasn't worth the effort.

^^^whs.

Post Monkeh
August 23rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
When I bought my most recent laptop I went to Dell's website.

I looked at the laptops they had with Linux pre-installed, and what hardware it was using. I then looked at the cost of upgrading the memory, disk, etc. to what I wanted.

I then looked at the laptops with Microsoft Windows pre-installed. Selected the system with the memory and disk space I wanted, and selected the same hardware options for such things as graphic and wireless chips.

I compared the price, and found the one with Microsoft Windows pre-installed less expensive.

I ordered it with similar wireless and graphics hardware to their Linux laptop. When I installed Ubuntu it worked perfectly.

It didn't cost me any more for the laptop that way nor did it cost me anything additional. I installed Ubuntu. I saved about 50 US$ for the hardware, which is about the cost of the Microsoft Windows OEM licence.

I'm didn't fight Dell over the Microsoft Windows license I didn't use because I make more than 50 US$ an hour; therefore, I wasn't worth the effort.

not that you care being a rich man :P but never pay for extra memory for a laptop. it's far cheaper to buy it yourself and is very easy to fit.

the two things that are important are the processor and the hard drive - these are the really difficult things to change. you can add more memory yourself very easily

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
not that you care being a rich man :P but never pay for extra memory for a laptop. it's far cheaper to buy it yourself and is very easy to fit.

the two things that are important are the processor and the hard drive - these are the really difficult things to change. you can add more memory yourself very easily

A laptop hard drive is usually extremely easy to change.

Post Monkeh
August 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
A laptop hard drive is usually extremely easy to change.
yes, physically changing the drive is easy, it's the fact you then lose the installed drive that causes the problem.

but it would involve either totally removing the original drive (and thus the restore partiton usually supplied with laptops these days) or backing it up (something which could be difficult unless you're used to backing up hidden partitions.)

you can install more memory and have your laptop loaded up again in 10 minutes.

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM

yes, physically changing the drive is easy, it's the fact you then lose the installed drive that causes the problem.

but it would involve either totally removing the original drive (and thus the restore partiton usually supplied with laptops these days) or backing it up (something which could be difficult unless you're used to backing up hidden partitions.)

you can install more memory and have your laptop loaded up again in 10 minutes.

But if you are buying with the intention of replacing, buy the smallest hard drive available and just shrink wrap the original and keep it for any need to claim warranty.

Post Monkeh
August 23rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
But if you are buying with the intention of replacing, buy the smallest hard drive available and just shrink wrap the original and keep it for any need to claim warranty.

this is true.

Keen101
August 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Again I am repeating my question just out of curiousity. does Windows works smoothly on linux based laptops or we need some tweaks to make is possible in the same manner what we do to make linux run on windows based laptops .

Windows should run fine. Most Manufactures design them with only Windows in mind. I cant speak for Zareason, or Pystar, but i do know for a fact that System76 does provide Windows Drivers for the customers who do decide to wipe linux and install windows.

I also hear that if thats the route you want to take, then System76 is very friendly and helpful about it.