View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommendations wanted - best "out of the box" Wireless NIC for Desktop (PCI)

August 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
'lo all.

Used to Run 8.10 server (on a desktop) & desktop (on a laptop).

Have since done clean installs of 9.04 on both.

Of serious note is that on my desktop in Vista, my atheros chipset wireless NIC gets a very strong (90 - 100%) wirelss signal - but in Ubuntu 9.04 Server, it only gets ~50% signal.

I've tried both the "Default" and mad-wifi drivers with the same result - with two different cards (one a Netgear, the other a D-Link).

I've also tried latest/greatest windows drivers installed with NDISWrapper (ndisgtk) with the same result.

Meanwhile, my laptop running 9.04 Desktop has a broadcom chipset internal wireless NIC that maintains an 88% signal or better, even if I take it outside and close the door.

Obviously my hardware isn't the problem, or it would show up in Vista the same as Ubuntu - it's Ubuntu's support of the Atheros chipset (or at least that's the only conclusion I'm capable of reaching).

Long-story-short [yeah, too late] - my laptop has a broadcom wireless chipset, so I'm hoping to find a good Broadcom NIC. So far, I've only found one via google, and it only says it supports WEP, not WPA.

Hence my request for recommendations - who has a wireless desktop PCI NIC that performs excellently for them? What make/model? (please note I'm hoping not to spend more than $25 - $30 if possible, as I will likely be buying two of these - have another desktop upon which to install Ubuntu!).

August 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
There is a list of Wireless cards supported.

Click Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported)