PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I can't trust you. Root ftp login in Arch Linux

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi there,

Is there a way I can root login on my pure-ftpd server? I have it installed on archlinux..... but when I login as root, it doesn't trust me :(

Help?

Bachstelze
August 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
This isn't related to programming. Moved to the Cafe.

kk0sse54
August 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The Arch Linux forums exist for a reason, as well as google...

http://www.google.com/search?q=pure-ftpd+root+login&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
is arch linux really that different to ubuntu that the problem cant be solved here? i thought it was just a different interface/applications and slightly modified bits. arch users still come here to chat, someone may know

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
This isn't related to programming. Moved to the Cafe.

I wasn't sure....

saulgoode
August 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
There should be an /etc/ftpusers file which contains the names of the users that may *NOT* log into the system via the FTP server. If root is listed in that file, delete it or comment it out. (At least, that is how it is done on Slackware.)

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
is arch linux really that different to ubuntu that the problem cant be solved here? i thought it was just a different interface/applications and slightly modified bits. arch users still come here to chat, someone may know

Very different...... most of the config files are in different places..... and because of that, it's harder to fix.

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
There should be an /etc/ftpusers file which contains the names of the users that may *NOT* log into the system via the FTP server. If root is listed in that file, delete it or comment it out. (At least, that is how it is done on Slackware.)

It doesn't seem to exist. Arch's config files are much different than those of other distros.

cariboo
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Instead of trying to ftp as root, why not just make yourself a member of the group that owns the folder you want to transfer a file to/from?

dragos240
August 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM
Or I could use SSH...... which is what I'm doing....

cariboo
August 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Actually that was my first thought, use sftp, and get rid of the ftp server all together.