View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audio Capture keeps turning off.

August 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hi, I really have absolutely no clue why and I dont get any errors or anything so can't post them here but my audio capture (using it for skype) keeps turning off automatically.

If I open up Volume Control, and turn it back on, once I close the window it turns back off. If I leave the volume control window open it will remain on but as soon as it's closed it turns off again.

any ideas or suggestions as to how I can fix that?

August 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Doh! think I figured it out...... 2 horrible evil words that plague many distros: Pulse Audio! (dun dun dunnnnn!!!!) I really hate Pulse Audio.... for one thing, if I use that capture, the person i'm talking to gets to hear me talking which is fine AND themselves.... that can be incredibly distracting and sometimes confusing (depending on the person) to them. another thing I hate about it is it's generally kinda hidden currently.... it's never the main option in anything and so it just makes it take longer to figure out what crappy piece of software is crapping up your sound.

Is it safe to uninstall Pulse Audio and go with Alsa? if so, what all would i need ot uninstall and what all would I need to install?