PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why doesnt....

blur xc
August 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Ubuntu ship with some compiz productivity enhancement already enabled by default?

First impressions go a long way. I worked hard setting up my desktop too be the way I like it, but it doesn't look much at all anymore how it came out of the box. General computer users don't want to spend hours fiddling w/ cryptic dialogs and confusing terms to get special effects enabled. And I'm not talking so much about wobbly windows or painting fire on your desktop. Things like the cube, expo, scale windows (Expose- except an e with the little accent above it, as in Mac OSx), etc..

Learning a new OS is already overwhelming enough by itself, getting it to look "cool" like they saw on some you tube video could be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Even an annoying introductions to your new os pop ups would be good too, like windows does, showing how to initiate these effects.

Anyway, my $.02. If it's got the power- it should come with it.

CD's are yesterday- dvd's hold 4+ gigs, so I say screw the whole under 700mb iso handicap. Ship live DVD's instead.

We all know Ubuntu > mac + windows, but not w/o a lot of customizing. Make it that great out of the box.

BM

rednano12
August 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ubuntu ship with some compiz productivity enhancement already enabled by default?

Not all computers can run Compiz. The system requirements are pretty low, but for instance, my sister's old laptop (512 mb of ram, 32 mb graphics card, etc.) can't run it.

First impressions go a long way. I worked hard setting up my desktop too be the way I like it, but it doesn't look much at all anymore how it came out of the box. General computer users don't want to spend hours fiddling w/ cryptic dialogs and confusing terms to get special effects enabled. And I'm not talking so much about wobbly windows or painting fire on your desktop. Things like the cube, expo, scale windows (Expose- except an e with the little accent above it, as in Mac OSx), etc..

It really isn't that hard. Now I can set up all of my Compiz effects in as little as 15 min. There isn't that much that is cryptic. You want cryptic? Try explaining Conky to one who is uninitiated.

Learning a new OS is already overwhelming enough by itself, getting it to look "cool" like they saw on some you tube video could be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Even an annoying introductions to your new os pop ups would be good too, like windows does, showing how to initiate these effects.

That's a great idea, but I don't think that adding instructions about the effects are necessary. Maybe something about installing programs is better.

Anyway, my $.02. If it's got the power- it should come with it.

But it doesn't have the power. At least not all the time.

CD's are yesterday- dvd's hold 4+ gigs, so I say screw the whole under 700mb iso handicap. Ship live DVD's instead.

You'd be surprised how many computer's don't have DVD drives. Even my computer, which I think is decent (1 GB RAM, 3 GHz Processor, Geforce 6200) doesn't have a DVD drive.

We all know Ubuntu > mac + windows, but not w/o a lot of customizing. Make it that great out of the box.

BM

Everyone has a different choice of great. I know a lot of minimalists who don't particularly like compiz, and wished Ubuntu would ship with less stuff like Screensavers.

LowSky
August 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
actually disk based media is so yesterdaydownloadable media and flash drives are making even Blu-Ray obsolete.

compiz is great but relies on drivers, most of which are not exactly free (as in speech), some Linux OSes dont mind enabling them, while Ubuntu does try some of them if its something youi really want.

I know plenty of people who think Ubuntu is actually better that it lacks desktop effects. Having a window close and burst into flames looks cool but it really isn't productive, and is rather silly in a work enviroment.

people who see those youtube videos of Ubuntu + Compiz are idiots if they dont think some customization is required. Not to mention Youtube has plenty of video showing how to set those things up.

blur xc
August 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It really isn't that hard. Now I can set up all of my Compiz effects in as little as 15 min. There isn't that much that is cryptic. You want cryptic? Try explaining Conky to one who is uninitiated.

You can- but you know what it is. I knew about the cube from screenshots, but didn't know anything about ccsm until I started searching the forums. Having to search the forums is a deal breaker for MANY potential users. They didn't have to search any forums to use their old OS. I've been screwing around with it [ccsm] for about two months now, and I still don't know half of what I'm looking at or what purpose it has in.

Everyone has a different choice of great. I know a lot of minimalists who don't particularly like compiz, and wished Ubuntu would ship with less stuff like Screensavers.

I'm coming from the perspective of sharing Ubuntu with my friend and family. The aren't computer geeks, they don't know, nor want to know what mounting a drive is. They don't want to know what a DE or WM is. I do, but I'm not normal. Setting up my conky was the first thing I did in Ubuntu.

I don't feel confortable sharing Ubuntu w/ my friends and family. I try with some of them, but they toss it aside. It's not worth the effort. Windows sucks and they admit it, but they know how to use it. It came pre-installed on their box with all kinds of general setup junk already enabled. Do you need to do anything to get the dock and global menu running in OSx? Or Expose (e w/ the accent above it, how do you type that anyway?), or the cool alt-tab window switchers? Window previews?

BM