PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Little problem with grub

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hello, i'm having a little problem with grub. I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 from windows (as a software into it) to boot from grub but when I've uninstalled it the grub bootloader wasn't removed and I still have the choice between ubuntu (wich doesn't find the files to boot) and windows XP. But now I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Vista with an upgrader Cd (not a full version) and I was wondering if this Cd was able to redo my boot sequence or if I have to do it myself before starting my install

Partyboi2
August 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi, you can remove the Ubuntu entry ( c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu") from the C:\boot.ini file to stop Ubuntu appearing as a option when you boot up.

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
and I will be able to upgrade to vista witout a problem?

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
P.S. : thank you very much for your fast answer

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
hum.... i'm a little tricked... even with hided files turned to be seen... It doesn't seem like I even HAVE a C:\boot.ini file in my computer....

Partyboi2
August 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
and I will be able to upgrade to vista witout a problem?
I am not sure if you left it as it is if Vista would have a problem with it or not (Wouldn't think so). But it is easy to remove the entry for Ubuntu in the boot.ini before upgrading.

Partyboi2
August 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
hum.... i'm a little tricked... even with hided files turned to be seen... It doesn't seem like I even HAVE a C:\boot.ini file in my computer....
Ok, try this

Edit the Boot.ini File

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit.

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
then could you tell me which part of this text do I have to delete because I don't want to mess anything up

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

and I guess after deleting the right part i'll just have to click >file>save and then reboot my computer to test

Partyboi2
August 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Delete this part

C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"
then save and reboot

b.charles.gagne
August 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Worked Perfectly!! I'm sure too it wouldn't have messed up with vista but I thing I would have kept the same boot menu after installing vista... So it didn't cost much to me to do so before upgrading

Thank you for your gracefull (and FAST) help and I hope i've been clear explaining my problem

P.S.: I love internet.. i'm in canada so... you're a little far and getting your help without it would have been impossible

Partyboi2
August 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Happy to have helped :)