PDA

View Full Version : id like to know what you think about Folding@Home

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
my dell mini 9 is turned off at night, but id like to take part in the project. is it difficult to set up or mostly automated?

id like to know how many of you actually do this here

thanks

Grenage
August 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM
It's automated, and pretty simply to setup; one of my machines here is rigged up for it. I think it's a good use of idle cycles.

Warpnow
August 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
An atom processor is not going to fold well, though.

Elfy
August 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome

Piccy
August 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Install is very easy if you use the Origami client

Add
http://ppa.launchpad.net/christer.edwards/ubuntu intrepid main
to your sources list (System - Administration - Software Sources)

Go to synaptic and install origami

Once installed open terminal and type
sudo origami install -u *pick a username* -t 45104 (if you want to join the Ubuntu team)

In my case was
origami install -u Piccy -t 45104

To monitor progress type
origami monitor

And thats it. Good luck!!

Swarms
August 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM
What I think of it? Increased emission of CO2.

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I was folding for a while on my laptop. It's for a good cause, but be warned that 0% CPU usage at 100% clock speed uses less energy and generates less heat than 100% CPU usage at 100% clock speed, at least, in my experience.

Folding isn't free.

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I was folding for a while on my laptop. It's for a good cause, but be warned that 0% CPU usage at 100% clock speed uses less energy and generates less heat than 100% CPU usage at 100% clock speed, at least, in my experience.

Folding isn't free.

eh? are you saying my laptop will heat up while folding? and whats this about it not being free, do i have to pay or something?

aaaantoine
August 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM
eh? are you saying my laptop will heat up while folding?
Yes.

and whats this about it not being free, do i have to pay or something?
Only for the extra watts your computer uses while folding. If you're not paying for them, someone is.

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
oh, right, but my laptop is usually kept cool, its on my desktop monitor with the memory bay bit sort of hanging over the edge to allow air to pass through

maybe ill just run the folding thing for a short while each day, is that possible?

cascade9
August 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Running for just a short while may work, depends on what WUs (work units) your being sent. If it takes too long to do the WU, it will 'expire'.

Grenage
August 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Naturally, just turn it off when not using.

bodyharvester
August 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
i shall take part, thanks everyone!

much appreciated!

tom66
August 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Just remember even if you're cooling your laptop down then it's still using watts to warm up (wasted energy).

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
sorry for the delay but i wanted to mention that about a minute ago while i made a cup of tea and got a packet of Doritos i installed it, heres a screen

i joined the ubuntu team too :D

zekopeko
September 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have a question:

Who is the owner of the computed results? Who can use them?

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I have a question:

Who is the owner of the computed results? Who can use them?

dont know if the results are owned exactly and im not sure how the results are used either

zekopeko
September 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM
dont know if the results are owned exactly and im not sure how the results are used either

So let me get this straight: You are willing to use your resources on something that you don't know if it's going to be publicly available? What if the results become the property of a private company that isn't going to share them?

EDIT: OK my worries appear to be unwarranted.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main#ntoc4

EDIT2: On further inspections they say that the data will be available when the data is publicized in a scientific journal. They could hold it indefinitely from publication.
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
So let me get this straight: You are willing to use your resources on something that you don't know if it's going to be publicly available? What if the results become the property of a private company that isn't going to share them?

EDIT: OK my worries appear to be unwarranted.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main#ntoc4

huh, i dont think id seen that page before :)

Gizenshya
September 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
paranoid? nah. we should all ask similar questions about what we volunteer for.

you may have jumped the gun, though ;)

For projects like this, you must also keep in mind that the amount of data involved is extraordinary. MAny many TB of data go in and out of the program, and the project is usually near max on everything. There would be no realistic way to make 'all the data' publicly available. Rest assured that any results will be peer reviewed.

Does the GPU portion of the program work in gnu/linux yet? The last time I tried it kept giving me unstable errors and wanting to wait for hours to try again. I just got annoyed and deleted it.

Pogeymanz
September 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I like the idea, but I'm a poor college student so I can't have my electric bill getting any higher. I shut down my PC if I'm going to be away from it for more than an hour or two.

ChrT
September 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
My two desktop PCs are always running folding@home, as do my laptops whenever I can leave them plugged in. However, I find the notion of competition in a distributed computing project downright ridiculous, so I contribute anonymously.

hoppipolla
September 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I like folding@home, but I must admit I usually use BOINC, as it connects to lots of different distributed computing projects, so you can choose what you want to donate your CPU time to :)

And yeah it does heat up your CPU a bit, but I wonder what percentage of your PCs overall energy use that corresponds to...

I actually tend to use it to justify forgetting to turn my PC off sometimes at night lol That's naughty I know, but I don't care xD

hoppipolla
September 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
My two desktop PCs are always running folding@home, as do my laptops whenever I can leave them plugged in. However, I find the notion of competition in a distributed computing project downright ridiculous, so I contribute anonymously.

Yeah I find the competition on there a bit weird too, I just leave it running and what it does it does :)

bodyharvester
September 13th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Naturally, just turn it off when not using.

how would i go about doing this? is there a command in the terminal to stop it and another so i can start it again later? i dont like the idea of my netbook heating up overnight when im downloading :|

gletob
September 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM

You know it's not just for fun though, it's goes towards a good cause: Finding cures for AIDS, cancer, parkinsons, huntingtons, and other diseases. I don't care what scientific facts you have. I'd much rather save a human today, than a polar bear tomorrow.

aaaantoine
September 13th, 2009, 02:19 AM
You know it's not just for fun though, it's goes towards a good cause: Finding cures for AIDS, cancer, parkinsons, huntingtons, and other diseases. I don't care what scientific facts you have. I'd much rather save a human today, than a polar bear tomorrow.

This.

Folding may not be free (as I said earlier), but it's not a waste, either.

3rdalbum
September 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I wouldn't advise folding on a Dell Mini; there's no fan to take away the heat unless you have one of those laptop cooling pads.

kpholmes
September 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM
i like the idea but im not willing to keep my computer on for longer then it needs to

freebeer
September 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM
You don't have to. F@H will work quite well that way. It just uses your unused CPU cycles and plays very nice when you want/need the cycles back.

The folding client assumes that you'll be shutting down frequently. It just asks that you give it enough time to complete its task in the time allotted (which is plenty).

bodyharvester
September 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM

i dont mean to sound vulgar but my rear end probably produces more dangerous gases than the results of using a few more electrons for folding@home :p also, the ice caps will melt as we exit this ice age, so im gonna let nature take its course

besides, there are better ways to lower your own CO2 emissions if you are so concerned. There are people who will plant trees for you to counter air travel and such.

I bought a cooling pad from Amazon.co.uk for £9.85 with free shipping (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Notebook-Gel-Cooling-Pad/dp/B000SDHGTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252835134&sr=1-1) it looks pretty good so ill be able to fold for longer :D that pleases me greatly

Странник
September 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I prefer BOINC. Much more versatile

gletob
September 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
i dont mean to sound vulgar but my rear end probably produces more dangerous gases than the results of using a few more electrons for folding@home :p also, the ice caps will melt as we exit this ice age, so im gonna let nature take its course

besides, there are better ways to lower your own CO2 emissions if you are so concerned. There are people who will plant trees for you to counter air travel and such.

I bought a cooling pad from Amazon.co.uk for £9.85 with free shipping (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Notebook-Gel-Cooling-Pad/dp/B000SDHGTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252835134&sr=1-1) it looks pretty good so ill be able to fold for longer :D that pleases me greatly

Did you even read my post? I was criticising the dude that said it contributed global warming, by comparing that I'd rather save a humans life than a polar bear.

What I think of it? Increased emission of CO2.You know it's not just for fun though, it's goes towards a good cause: Finding cures for AIDS, cancer, parkinsons, huntingtons, and other diseases. I don't care what scientific facts you have. I'd much rather save a human today, than a polar bear tomorrow.

bodyharvester
September 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Did you even read my post? I was criticising the dude that said it contributed global warming, by comparing that I'd rather save a humans life than a polar bear.

yes, but i was agreeing with your point of view and adding my own view, not criticising yours

ubongo2008
September 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM

:lolflag: me 2

but at least my atom only uses 27 watts under full load \\:D/

Edit: may be you won't be saving just one polar bear but the whole species

keplerspeed
September 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I run F@H on my cpu, installed using fah install (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome/fah_install), and if you read the documentation for fah install, you will see that there is a nice script to start/stop the client.

I used to run the gpu client (win client under wine). It took some fiddling to set up, but it was unstable and made my graphics jolty. Maybe ill try it again once they release native client for GPU. For a guide to how to set up F@H on a linux GPU: http://www.keplerspeed.comuv.com/gpufolding.html

bodyharvester
September 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
i learned how to stop and start it, after installing origami (see first page) i typed "man origami" and was not surprised that i can start and stop it by using "sudo origami stop" or "sudo origami start" :p

i would recommend the origami install i followed from the first page, i cant remember who posted that but it was quick and easy, heres what was posted...EDIT: poster was Piccy

Install is very easy if you use the Origami client

Add
http://ppa.launchpad.net/christer.edwards/ubuntu intrepid main
to your sources list (System - Administration - Software Sources)

Go to synaptic and install origami

Once installed open terminal and type
sudo origami install -u *pick a username* -t 45104 (if you want to join the Ubuntu team)

In my case was
origami install -u Piccy -t 45104

To monitor progress type
origami monitor

And thats it. Good luck!!

keplerspeed
September 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I was pretty inpressed by the fah install/origami installer, it is much easier to install and setup to start automatically than the setup described on the official F@H site.

bodyharvester
September 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I was pretty inpressed by the fah install/origami installer, it is much easier to install and setup to start automatically than the setup described on the official F@H site.

i know what you mean, all i did was add that address to synaptic, install origami and then paste that command into the terminal, but with my username of course and my cpu's were folding away :o

something like that should be standard in todays computers, its never noticable, doesnt even heat up my netbook much more than listening to music and is a great idea

Fully216
September 26th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Instead of just running Folding@Home, you can run many different projects as well as Folding@Home by subscribing to the world community grid and running BOINC.

The repositories have an older version (6.2.18) of BOINC than what is currently available on the WCG website (6.6.40) http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org. Not sure why that is the case.

More information can be found here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BOINC