PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent usage

nebu
August 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I dont know if this is the right place to post this....

I want to find out who on my network is using a bittorrent download..... i have wireshark installed on my computer..... but the problem is..... when i am seeing the packets how do i know if the user is playing an online game or using a torrent.....

the network connects to the internet through a squid proxy server.... and most people running torrents use a ssl tunneler like proxifier(in windows) to run the torrents

soltanis
August 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
This is probably not the right place to post this no. Try the networking forum. And although I could help you, I question whether I should ethically do so since what you are suggesting in your post (packet sniffing for packets that aren't yours) is questionable.

nebu
August 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
i am trying to administer the network..... and since the bittorrent downloads are messing up the net connection..... i need to ban the mac address of the people using torrents..... so there is no problem with the legality.....

btw.... could one of the admins please move this post to networking.... i dont seem to have the functionality to do that