PDA

View Full Version : pidgin 2.6 is out now with voice and video support

imlinux
August 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
this is exciting pidgin with video support, but only for XMPP protocol. you can get new pidgin from here (http://www.getdeb.net/app/Pidgin)

CharmyBee
August 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
It also has a nice vulnerability. I would hold it off until they can confirm that fixed.

Baneblade
August 20th, 2009, 12:52 AM
It also has a nice vulnerability. I would hold it off until they can confirm that fixed.

What vulnerability?

Polygon
August 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
What vulnerability?

and does this vulnerability effect 2.6.1 as well?

unoodles
August 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the vulnerability is only in the updated version.
Here's the /. article on it:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/19/2128210/Pidgin-Adds-Google-Talk-Voice-and-Video-Support-and-a-Vulnerability?art_pos=3

fireman biff
August 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
According to the Pidgin changelog (http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ChangeLog#version2.5.908182009) and the article (http://www.coresecurity.com/content/libpurple-arbitrary-write) slashdot linked to, the vulnerability existed in 2.5.8 and was fixed in 2.5.9 (which was released the same day as 2.6.0).

The vulnerability is supposedly also in versions prior to 2.5.8, so upgrading might actually be a good idea.

rajcan
August 20th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Is 2.6 available for Intrepid? I'm seeing it for Hardy and Jaunty, but that doesn't do me any good.

sports fan Matt
August 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Im planning to retry pidgin.

kevdog
August 20th, 2009, 03:59 AM
You could just as well compile from source as well. Its very easy to do and only takes minutes.

3rdalbum
August 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Is 2.6 available for Intrepid? I'm seeing it for Hardy and Jaunty, but that doesn't do me any good.

It's available as source code, which means you can compile it. Pidgin is easy to compile, just make sure you have the OpenSSL development libraries installed and that you enable them in the configure script (otherwise you won't have MSN support).

Remember to check out the available build options with:

./configure --help

sports fan Matt
August 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
error while downloading: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: pidgin-data (>= 1:2.6.1)

fireman biff
August 20th, 2009, 04:29 AM
error while downloading: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: pidgin-data (>= 1:2.6.1)

pidgin-data is also available on getdeb. Look at the download links and you will see 4 packages that you need to install to use pidgin: pidgin, libpurple0, libpurple-bin and pidgin-data.

If you try to install one and it complains that one of the others is not satisfiable, just install that other one first.

fireman biff
August 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
You could just as well compile from source as well. Its very easy to do and only takes minutes.

I tried doing that today and eventually gave up. After spending a while sorting out all the dependencies it told me it installed, but when I tried to run it there was an error message saying it was unable to find libpurple. I just reinstalled the version from the repository.

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Waiting for it to be in the update manager so I don't get any nasty errors.

FuturePilot
August 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Gajim is my client of choice, but these new features are tempting me to try Pidgin again.

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
How long does it take to get into the PPA or repo or whatever for Ubuntu? I'm still waiting.

fireman biff
August 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
How long does it take to get into the PPA or repo or whatever for Ubuntu? I'm still waiting.

From Pidgin's download page: "This PPA is maintained by one developer, so please be patient. It often lags behind the source releases a couple of days."

The karmic repository will probably take longer, and older releases will probably take even longer (if they get it at all).

sports fan Matt
August 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
question: Pidgin 2.6.1 is the version on getdeb.net
however I have: Pidgin 2.5.8
(libpurple 2.6.1) after downloading from the website..is this the correct version?

fireman biff
August 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
question: Pidgin 2.6.1 is the version on getdeb.net
however I have: Pidgin 2.5.8
(libpurple 2.6.1) after downloading from the website..is this the correct version?

Just remove all the current packages:

sudo apt-get remove libpurple0 libpurple-bin pidgin pidgin-data

Then, install the files from getdeb one by one. If the installer says the file depends on one of the other files you downloaded then install the other file first. If it depends on another package that is not satisfiable you should use apt-cache to figure out what package to install or search google.

keiichidono
August 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM

If you can't wait, you might wanna try Arch Linux. :P

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
If you can't wait, you might wanna try Arch Linux. :P

Problem: Don't like terminal much.

Problem: Any guides on how to get DVD Playback and are there any flashplugin-nonfree like on Ubuntu? I don't like gnash nor swfdec.

Problem: I absolutely HATE make/install.

sports fan Matt
August 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
all fixed :)

hyperdude111
August 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM

It will still work.

mac-duff
August 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi,

has anybody figured out how does video work?

firefeather
August 21st, 2009, 02:41 AM
I tried doing that today and eventually gave up. After spending a while sorting out all the dependencies it told me it installed, but when I tried to run it there was an error message saying it was unable to find libpurple. I just reinstalled the version from the repository.

I used this command (after putting the terminal into the directory where all the GetDeb files were and making sure no other debs are in the directory)

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

sikku
August 21st, 2009, 03:39 AM
I am not sure but pidgin 2.6.1 does not have voice and video support whih was installed from the getdeb site...

I tried to install from source but the pidgin.im site says that we should get this line at the end of ./configure

Build with voice and video.... yes But I am not able to get it... I get No...

Check this link: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/GSoC2008/VoiceAndVideo

I have installed everything which that link says but I am not able to get the required output.... :(

Can anybody help???

fireman biff
August 21st, 2009, 03:49 AM
I used this command (after putting the terminal into the directory where all the GetDeb files were and making sure no other debs are in the directory)

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Thanks for the advice, I did manage to get it installed like this. Unfortunately now my system is complaining that I have unmet dependencies (libzephyr3 seems to have been replaced by libzephyr4 in karmic, not that I use Zephyr anyway).

Its nice to be running something other than version 2.5.8 since that one had the big vulnerability, but I really would like to be able to use the voice/video which the getdeb release doesn't seem to support. I guess I'll try installing from source again sometime.

fireman biff
August 21st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Alright, I reinstalled from source and Pidgin complained that it couldn't find libpurple.so.0 again. Fortunately I was able to solve that with the help of an old thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491673).

I now have Pidgin 2.6.1 installed on karmic. Help > About shows that I have "Voice and Video: Enabled" and the Conversation menu now has a submenu called Media containing Audio Call, Video Call, and Audio/Video Call. Unfortunately all my online contacts are using old versions of Pidgin or Gmail so I can't test it...

kevdog
August 21st, 2009, 04:29 AM
Do I need to write a how-to how to compile this? I don't have Jaunty installed however am confident I could compile it in Intrepid.

sikku
August 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Has anyone installed it in Jaunty by compiling from source???

puccaso
August 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
i am getting a "libzephyr3" error... how do i fix this?

sikku
August 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
I think nobody has compiled on jaunty...

sikku
August 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
i am getting a "libzephyr3" error... how do i fix this?

Can you put paste the complete error message which u get....

alexcckll
August 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Umm - what version of Ubuntu will Pidgin 2.6.x make it into?

Just that I wouldn't feel confident doing anything except relying on official packages...

mac-duff
August 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Ok,

I ve compiled now Pidgin and have a option video audio but which is also by gmail users greyed out. Do the gmail user also has to run Linux and Pidgin so it does not work with the gmail client on windows?

Another point is, I had to update gstreamer and gst plugin base and now I cant play mp3s with Totem any more, VLC works.

Error is:

Totem could not startup.
Could not find the audio output. You may need to install addiotional GStreamer plugins...

I ve already reinstalled the packages over the package manager

Thx

Tibuda
August 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Umm - what version of Ubuntu will Pidgin 2.6.x make it into?

Just that I wouldn't feel confident doing anything except relying on official packages...

Karmic, aka 9.10

dumblebee100
August 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
pidgin 2.6.1 segfaults with google talk so no question of video or audio support ..

even wine version not working ..it says " pidgin.dll not found ..probably gtk+ not found"

so stuck with using pidgin portable version 2.5.8

pidgin portable version 2.6.1 also gives problems ...after connecting to accounts then font becomes gibberish ...I mean I cannot see my buddies ..all they become blacked out ..I mean to say ..they look like striked out with some black lines ....so I cant use even pidgin portable version 2.6.1 ...

Long live pidgin ..which doesnt work for me ..in anyways

sikku
August 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I installed pidgin 2.6.1 from source in Fedora 11 and is working fine... I can voice chat and video chat with the other person who is in gtalk... Everything perfect... Clear voice and clear video...
The only problem is if the other party tries to call and if I accept the call the call does not get connected... Instead it says "call in progress". Or else everything is fine...

But not so in Ubuntu... It does not work... The final output of the ./configure command always gives

Build with voice and video..... :No

I tried to install all the dependencies given by the pidgin team... Now all I get is volume problem... The system says I do not have sound card... I probably have to instal gstreamer libraries... This is disgusting....

I have Fedora 11 also installed in my system and I am happy using that... I was happy with Ubuntu... But now I sadly have to tell that it sucks... :(

DigitalDuality
August 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Problem: Don't like terminal much.
1. Then why use linux?
2. After install and setup, you can use the terminal as much or as little as you want.

Problem: Any guides on how to get DVD Playback and are there any flashplugin-nonfree like on Ubuntu? I don't like gnash nor swfdec.
Installing restricted stuff in arch is just as simple as it is in Ubunt.

Problem: I absolutely HATE make/install.

Arch's repo's (official and the AUR community) are almost as vast as Ubuntu's. No need to make install.

kagashe
August 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Has anyone installed it in Jaunty by compiling from source???
Go to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1244589), follow korin43's post for compiling. I have used his compiled binary from PPA and voice and video is enabled and working.

kagashe

kevdog
August 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Was the video portion working?? - The last time I checked out the mtn vv version - only audio was working -- however this was back in like April or something.

sikku
August 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Go to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1244589), follow korin43's post for compiling. I have used his compiled binary from PPA and voice and video is enabled and working.

kagashe

Thanx for guiding me.... :)

chandru155
August 23rd, 2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks. With that un install command, i successfully un installed my older version and installed the latest version. Thaks

andersja
August 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I think nobody has compiled on jaunty...

We should try to get this onto jaunty-backports and into the karmic repository ASAP?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/source/karmic/pidgin - still showing 2.5.8?

Does anyone know when to expect this?

alexcckll
August 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Karmic, aka 9.10
So probably when I buy my next laptop from Linux Emporium late next year then?

coldReactive
August 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
So probably when I buy my next laptop from Linux Emporium late next year then?

Late next year? You'd be using 10.04 or 10.10 then.

alexcckll
August 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Late next year? You'd be using 10.04 or 10.10 then.
Probably so.. I'm one of your basic LTS-to-LTS, only-upgrade-between-OS-versions-with-help-from-my-vendor customers..

Sorry - the machine is a lifeline..

Please remind me - I get full support on 8.04LTS until late in 2011, don't I?

4th guy
August 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
April 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Release_history

Ric_NYC
August 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Pidgin has a strange integration with the taskbar. It changes the shutdown button.

Is there a way to turn it off?

coldReactive
August 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Pidgin has a strange integration with the taskbar. It changes the shutdown button.

Is there a way to turn it off?

Go into plugins and disable nautilus integration. See if that works.

kevdog
August 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
If you can compile -- then you can get any version with pidgin voice and video support. Don't be so helpless!

coldReactive
August 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
If you can compile -- then you can get any version with pidgin voice and video support. Don't be so helpless!

Ubuntu already has 2.6.1 in the PPA. I would think it has the support.

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Ubuntu already has 2.6.1 in the PPA. I would think it has the support.

Only Jaunty and Karmic. Intrepid and Hardy users need some dirty compiling.

alexcckll
August 31st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Only Jaunty and Karmic. Intrepid and Hardy users need some dirty compiling.
Umm - so is this another case of production users like me just waiting?

Are there plans for full videoconferencing functions to be available in IM clients in the next Long Term Support release of Ubuntu Desktop?

alexcckll
August 31st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I've never compiled production systems in my life. Are the requested enhancements on Canonical's maintenance list?

alexcckll
September 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I say again - Are the requested enhancements on Canonical's maintenance list?

coldReactive
September 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I say again - Are the requested enhancements on Canonical's maintenance list?

2.6.1 is in Karmic Publishing, so it will be included in the repos for Karmic.

alexcckll
September 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
2.6.1 is in Karmic Publishing, so it will be included in the repos for Karmic.
Umm... so does that mean that full videoconferencing for all IM protocols will be fully supported out of the box in 9.10? And I trust that condition would continue so that when the next Long Term Support release was available... they would be fully supported?

So - I could buy a new laptop and have it all running out of the box?

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Umm... so does that mean that full videoconferencing for all IM protocols will be fully supported out of the box in 9.10? And I trust that condition would continue so that when the next Long Term Support release was available... they would be fully supported?

So - I could buy a new laptop and have it all running out of the box?

No and No.

Most computers are geared to windows, if everything works out of the box, you must be lucky.

alexcckll
September 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
No and No.

Most computers are geared to windows, if everything works out of the box, you must be lucky.
Hmm -funny that. I bought this Thinkpad R61i from Linux EMporium.. and Ubuntu 8.04LTS was running happily out of the box. All I had to do was follow the instructions to get the restricted stuff on it..

I would be going back there for future machines.

I admit - I am using a preinstalled instance of Ubuntu 8.04.3.

Tibuda
September 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah, buying Linux preinstalled is the best way to give manufacturers incentive to support Linux. I have also bought it preinstalled in my laptop and everything worked out of the box in all the clean installs I made (hardy, intrepid, jaunty and karmic). Wireless, webcam, sound, everything...

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, buying Linux preinstalled is the best way to give manufacturers incentive to support Linux. I have also bought it preinstalled in my laptop and everything worked out of the box in all the clean installs I made (hardy, intrepid, jaunty and karmic). Wireless, webcam, sound, everything...

Dell uses hacks to make sure their hardware works though. So if you reinstall on some machines, you might run into some problems.

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Dell uses hacks to make sure their hardware works though. So if you reinstall on some machines, you might run into some problems.

They also provide an Emergency recovery partition.

alexcckll
September 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
From what I gather, Dell run their own repositories, so any new software changes that come in go through an even stronger testing process before being released to the more mainstream user community.

While I might be interested in playing with different software on a non-lifeline machine.. I must admit that I'd be squeamish over stepping outside the standard repositories...

As they commented.. the average mainstream user *doesn't care* that they're not running the latest; they just want the kit to work.