PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot install w/ Ubuntu in partition of 2nd HD how?

karx11erx
August 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi,

I have a WinXP system with 2 HDs and 5 partitions total (HD1: 3 part, HD2: 2 part).

I want to install Ubuntu 9.04 so that in the end I have a dual boot system with Ubuntu installed in the first partition (200 GB) of HD2 (1 TB Samsung). The first HD (500 GB Seagate) has to be exclusively reserved for WinXP (apart from the boot loader).

I tried the installer three times, but the automatic install doesn't give me clear enough choices and explanations to be sure it would create the install I want, while the manual one leaves me unsure whether I actually get a dual boot system (where the boot loader prompts me for the OS to load) when I put the /boot mount point on HD2's first partition.

So how do I please accomplish what I want?

I am not a Linux expert, but I am also not a complete noob; been using openSUSE for three years and want to try Ubuntu for a change. My SUSE systems are however standalone Linux systems, so I never had to mess with stuff like this.

karx11erx
August 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Wow. This is the official Ubuntu forum, and nobody can help me with this?

I think I will stick with SUSE then. Somehow I never was lucky with Ubuntu (with earlier versions, the installer crashed everytime ...)

I just wonder why the installer cannot just detect all partitions and ask

(a) Whether I want to install Ubuntu in one of the existing partitions (overwriting its contents in the process)
(b) Whether I want a dual boot system allowing me to chose between WinXP and Ubuntu when starting my computer
(c) Proceed to more options if I decline

Simplicity seems to be something alien to the world of Linux minds. Maybe someone responsible for the installer will read this and think "oh yeah, good idea". Given the speed this forum area is literally flooded with new posts, it probably won't happen though.

Mark Phelps
August 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Wow. This is the official Ubuntu forum, and nobody can help me with this?
The polite standard for bumping in this forum is once every 24 hours, not once every 8 hours -- like you did.

You think we're all just sitting here waiting for you to post??