PDA

View Full Version : Giving Priority to PS3?

razorboy5
August 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hi

I'm moving back to the house by school again in a few weeks and i'm sharing it with a few of my buddies

internet's not too bad in the house but as soon as one person turns on torrent everything goes down the poophole,

so whenever i try to play PS3 online i get frustrated by not connecting if anyone's on torrent so is there any way to give "priority" to my PS3 so PS3 works fine and torrents to slower?

we're using a DIR-615 router for wireless.

sry didn't wanna post this on help section cuz it has nothing to do with Ubuntu or Linux for that matter

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I don't think your roomies would appreciate you stealing all the bandwidth either. Just out of curiosity how fast is your connection?

Warpnow
August 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Torrent clients should be properly configured so that doesn't happen. There are load of tutorials for Azureus.

Yes
August 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Could you just torrent stuff at night when no one else will be using the internet?

doas777
August 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
most likely your getting congestion on the upstream (from your network, up to the internet), so most torrent clients have a way to "throttle" the upstream. I cap mine at 30-35 KBps and it keeps the channel open for other apps. you may also want to try limiting the max number of upload slots per torrent, and try to keep your seeding list short.

good luck

razorboy5
August 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
i'm the only one using Ubuntu thus using Vuze as my torrenting program. I hard Vuze is also availabe for windows might convince them to switch or i'm sure uTorrent can be configured similarly

well everyone goes to school at diff times and usually leave on torrent during that time so ppl at home during that time gets stuck with slow internet

also thx for the upload 'throttle' tip
no1's really into uploading anyways so shouldn't be a problem

.Maleficus.
August 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
i'm the only one using Ubuntu thus using Vuze as my torrenting program. I hard Vuze is also availabe for windows might convince them to switch or i'm sure uTorrent can be configured similarly
To throttle upload speed in uTorrent -

Go to Options > Preferences > Bandwidth > Global Upload Rate Limit

no1's really into uploading anyways so shouldn't be a problem
](*,)

razorboy5
August 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
](*,)

hehe :S well it's true aint it except to "help other ppl get it as well"

and yes i know the system fails if everyone thinks like this but can't help it :S

and i used to upload at least 2:1 ratio so that should make up for not uploading for a year :P

doas777
August 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
vuze is azureus, so just click on the upstream in the status bar at the bottom right, and select the max that is right for u. I use 30KBps on a 768kbs provisioned line, and that usually leaves sufficient upstream for others.