PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows 7 Full (Ubuntu installed First)

okayneil
August 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, sadly a Windows question. Im one of the lucky/unlucky few who have access to msdn alliance which contains the full version of windows 7. Currently I have a dual boot ubuntu (installed first) windowsXP. I want to add a windows 7 install. I was going to follow this tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035999) but wanted to ask first if there were any major things i need to watch out for?

Should just be a case of :

1. Partition disk with gparted.
2. Install Windows7.
3. Re-install Grub.
4. Edit Grub to List Windows 7.

Update***

Installed windows 7 professional using the tutorial above, worked like a charm, no problems except a small one.

When editing the grub menu to make a new slot for windows 7 pointing to its correct installed location it will not boot, but when i select the windows xp grub menu it takes me to a screen which allows me to choose xp or win 7.

Not sure what to think of that, but overall seems good.

Copernicus1234
August 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I dont know. Windows 7 doesnt seem too good at coexisting with others since its a Microsoft product. XP works pretty good, but I have seen users having problems with 7.

thunk77
August 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Presumably you are correct, but who knows what wonderful things microsoft has in store for you..

okayneil
August 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Presumably you are correct, but who knows what wonderful things microsoft has in store for you..

Some are saying it works well others not. Fingers croassed :)

SuperSonic4
August 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM
If you have a spare drive install it there :p

If not pray

confused57
August 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, sadly a Windows question. Im one of the lucky/unlucky few who have access to msdn alliance which contains the full version of windows 7. Currently I have a dual boot ubuntu (installed first) windowsXP. I want to add a windows 7 install. I was going to follow this tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035999) but wanted to ask first if there were any major things i need to watch out for?

2. Install Windows7.
3. Re-install Grub.

This should work fine, I've installed Windows 7 RC on 2 different computers dual booting with Ubuntu. On the first computer I didn't pre-format an ntfs partition & also ended up with a 100 Mb boot partition added automatically, in addition to the Win 7 partition. The 2nd computer, I made a ntfs partition(25 Gb) beforehand with gparted, reformatted to ntfs during the Win 7 install & didn't get the 100 Mb boot partition added. Both dual boots working great.

okayneil
August 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
This should work fine, I've installed Windows 7 RC on 2 different computers dual booting with Ubuntu. On the first computer I didn't pre-format an ntfs partition & also ended up with a 100 Mb boot partition added automatically, in addition to the Win 7 partition. The 2nd computer, I made a ntfs partition(25 Gb) beforehand with gparted, reformatted to ntfs during the Win 7 install & didn't get the 100 Mb boot partition added. Both dual boots working great.

Good to hear!

What are my chances of this going wrong?

running_rabbit07
August 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Just remember your backups.

okayneil
August 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Just remember your backups.

All files, grub....bookmarks hehe what else?

okayneil
August 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Installed windows 7 professional using the tutorial above, worked like a charm, no problems except a small one.

When editing the grub menu to make a new slot for windows 7 pointing to its correct installed location it will not boot, but when i select the windows xp grub menu it takes me to a screen which allows me to choose xp or win 7.

Mark Phelps
August 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
That's because Windows 7, like Vista, installs its boot loader files into the first NTFS partition it finds on the disk, in this case, your XP partition. This means that if you every remove XP or reformat that partition, Windows 7 will not boot. Do yourself a favor and use the option in Windows 7 to create a recovery CD, You can use that later to restore the boot loader if you decide to remove XP or reformat that partition.

okayneil
August 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Can you switch the location of the bootloader?

louieb
August 21st, 2009, 02:03 AM
but when i select the windows xp grub menu it takes me to a screen which allows me to choose xp or win 7. Not sure what to think of that..

Thats the MS way of setting up dual boot. The newer puts it boot loader in the older and does not put a boot loader in itself.

With XP and Vista there are recovery disks floating around on the net. I know MS has one available for Vista. Win 7 is still so new that I haven't even looked. Heck I can't even find the drivers for my HP printer or sound chip:(

Mark Phelps
August 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Heck I can't even find the drivers for my HP printer or sound chip:(
Try Googling for the Microsoft Update Catalog. Allows you to search the entire MS update catalog for drivers. Of course, you must be running IE in order to use it (no surprise there!).

presence1960
August 21st, 2009, 02:28 AM

2. Install Windows7.
3. Re-install Grub.

Update***

That is exactly how it is supposed to work if you install a second version of windows on a machine. Microsoft has it set up that way. Call Redmond to complain. just leave the XP entry in menu.lst and choose which version of windows from XP.