PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install Peters Out

sanford55
August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hi, I recently put a new 200G hard drive into a Dell Inspirion 8100 with 500Meg of ram (max it will take). I then installed windows XP with no trouble at all. I tried out Ubuntu Live to see how it would work on this computer and failed to get it to boot from Live CD. When I tried it with 9.04, it just petered out, and when I tried it with 8.04, I got lots of error messages. Well, I figured I would try to actually install for dual boot. I partitioned the hard drive with gparted: windows ntsf, a linux Ext 3, a swap and a shared ntsf. Partitioning seems to have worked fine and was confirmed from within windows with Easeus partition manager which saw all the partitions, and I could access the to be shared ntsf partition from inside windows. So far so good. But I then tried actually installing ubuntu, both 9.04 and 8.04, and the install just peters out. It starts up fine, I tell it I want to install, and it does a bunch of stuff, the cd-rom makes some noise, the ubuntu logo appears just like other installs, and then just sort of sits there with a black screen and no more activity. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (PS, I have done four dual boot installs with absolutely no trouble till this one.) Sanford.

Sam Lars
August 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
You could try the alternate install CD and do a text-based install.

raymondh
August 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
you could try the alternate install cd and do a text-based install.

+ 1 ...