PDA

View Full Version : Skype/VoIP on Android

abhiroopb
August 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Here is what I would like to do:

I have an HTC Magic and I have a couple of contacts who I frequently talk with on skype. Is there anyway to talk with them skype-to-skype on the Android phone?

The Skype Lite app does not allow calling.

I don't mind either calling using my local minutes OR using my data plan.

Thanks!

abhiroopb
August 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM
bump

abhiroopb
August 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
I am interested in trying out SIPDroid (http://sipdroid.org/) on my phone.

The website suggests I use PBXes (http://pbxes.org/) to set up VOIP.

I have no idea what PBXes is and I don't know how to set up SIP. I was wondering if there are any guides as to what this is and how I can set this up.

Basically, I want to call my girlfriend in the US from my phone over 3G or WiFi. Once I know how to set this up I can get her to set it up on her PC. But I would also like the ability to call her phone.

Can anyone help me with this please?

NCLI
August 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've heard Google Voice should be capable of something like what you describe.

abhiroopb
August 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Not in the US unfortunately :( and GV does not work in Singapore!

Mateo
August 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
There hasn't been a good skype app released yet, unfortunately. iSkoot allows voice, but in my experience it's not very good quality. I don't think this is necessarily the developer's (or android's) fault, I just think that data networks are not ready for VOIP yet.

I've heard Google Voice should be capable of something like what you describe.

Not at all, it's not even a VOIP app.

abhiroopb
August 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Actually I'm in Singapore and its 3G everywhere. Data works fine, and I've actually even been able to use Gizmo5, which is pretty good.

While I was in the UK (for the last three years) I used a skype phone (with Three) and it was great. My friends could call me and I could call them for free (over skype) I could even make skypeout calls.

I am looking for something similar to that.

Mateo
August 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Actually I'm in Singapore and its 3G everywhere. Data works fine, and I've actually even been able to use Gizmo5, which is pretty good.

While I was in the UK (for the last three years) I used a skype phone (with Three) and it was great. My friends could call me and I could call them for free (over skype) I could even make skypeout calls.

I am looking for something similar to that.

My point was that 3G isn't fast enough for skype calls (in my opinion). But maybe you'll have a different experience. Like I said, get iSkoot, it does skype calls.

abhiroopb
August 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yea I guess I just had a better experience with it.

I checked the iSkoot website and the Android market and I couldn't find the apk file for iSkoot.

Also does iSkoot use my minutes (instead of data?)

aysiu
August 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
If someone ported Ekiga to Android, then it could actually get some traction where Skype isn't doing much (Skype Lite? Come on!).

abhiroopb
August 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
I know what is the point of Skype Lite???

abhiroopb
October 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I am really confused about what VOIP is exactly and how it works. There are so many of these VOIP websites and I'm not really sure which one to use. Further, I'm not sure how PBXes works.

I'm unable to find a definitive guide on how to do the following:

1. Install SIPDroid on Android phone
2. Register with a VOIP service.
3. Link VOIP service to PBXes
4. Set-up PBXes on SIPDroid
5. Allow SIPDroid to Skype calls
6. Allow SIPDroid to phone calls.

Any thoughts?