PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help with install - ( initramfs) error

abzerov
August 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hello, I installed 9.04 on my desktop and it worked perfectly I am hooked !

I would like to do a single install of 9.04:

Then I tried to install on laptop hp pavilion zv5000 and I have been having problems.
I am starting with fresh install of windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 1. I have installed updated BIOS . It is Pentium 4 cpu 2.66Ghz 384MB ram. Chipset AT: Radeon 9100 1GP:FSB:133

Error I am getting is MP-Bios bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC .
Could not load library files no such directory then it goes to (Initramfs) and stops.
I have tried doing different boot parameters . Am I doing these incorrectly ? Do I need to erase quiet splash then add noapci.... i think I have tried all of this in many different ways and believe I have exhausted this approach? I appreciate your help !

jerrrys
August 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
doesn't seem to be one fix for all

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/283489

gonnoc
August 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hi,
I'll relate my experiences here - seems as good as anywhere and lets hope it helps you out.
I was getting the same error and I checked the web and found all sorts of suggestions. All of the noapic, acpi=off pci=noapic, etc... options in the kernel statement didn't work.

What has worked for me is a combination of two things firstly include in the grub kernel statement options rootdelay=60 (may need to specify >60 say 180?). I suspect that this actually fixed (got over) my 8254 but I was also getting I SUSPECT but I don't know for sure some sort of splash screen error that was causing the boot to crash. I assume this because when I removed the 'splash' option from the kernel statement in grub the machine (an old Dell 1650 server) booted up - I still received my 8254 error but ubuntu seemed to get over it and booted up.
So my kernel statement in grub goes something like

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxx rootdelay=60 ro quiet

I'm pretty much a linux newbie so if someone out there can confirm the splash option does actually display the ubuntu splash screen it'd be much appreciated.
Hope this helps

abzerov
August 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM
Thanks for your help. I may try to edit grub kernel statement options rootdelay=60 (may need to specify >60 say 180?) like you mentioned. I am so new I need to learn how to do this. I love learning new things but would appreciate pointers as to how to do this. Thanks again! abzerov