PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I Had to mess with it!

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hey all, I installed the grub2 package from synaptic and did a reboot. All seemed well. It showed the proper grub screen with my option of chain-loading.

I selected chain-load but recieved an error. The one thing I noticed was it no longer showed my Ubuntu versions, but rather, Debian versions in the grub menu.

Now I can't get back into Jaunty 9.04 at this point and used the live cd to get access to this forum. Is their a way to recover my old grub or do I have to reinstall everything.

I use a second hard drive for Ubuntu. The 1st for XP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
OK, just a follow up. I discovered that the synaptic install of Grub2 removes grub. That may be why it doesn't see my original generics.

presence1960
August 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I would try this: boot into recovery mode. Be patient as all the text scrolls on your screen, let it finish. Then scroll down the menu and choose command prompt with networking. Run
sudo apt-get remove grub2
When complete run
sudo apt-get install grub When complete type exit or quit then choose resume normal boot and see what happens.

or you can try those commands from terminal from the Live CD desktop

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the comeback. I tried a reboot and the recovery option, but still get the error: " ERROR 11 Unrecognized device string" I get that response on all generics listed. The Windows loader still works.

Here is the string that doesn't work.

Debian GNU/Linux,Kernel 2.6.28-15 It looks like the correct Kernel, but wont load.

Does the Live CD have a recovery option in the install mode?

Thanks

presence1960
August 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comeback. I tried a reboot and the recovery option, but still get the error: " ERROR 11 Unrecognized device string" I get that response on all generics listed. The Windows loader still works.

Here is the string that doesn't work.

Debian GNU/Linux,Kernel 2.6.28-15 It looks like the correct Kernel, but wont load.

Does the Live CD have a recovery option in the install mode?

Thanks

Boot the Live Cd and when desktop loads use terminal to run those commands in post #3

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Okay, I tried that, and I got this message: "Grub2 not installed, so not removed." I did find the grub edit command when I did a reboot without the live CD. Can I some how make changes there?

As you can see, I'm really new to Linux and appreaciate your help.

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I found this thread in the forum that focused on my problem.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing

I was able to edit the chain loader changing the boot line from Root to UUID. That did it as I was able to load Ubuntu. I removed grub2 and re-installed grub but find I still have to edit the grub from root to uuid to access at startup.

OnlyTim
August 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
[ubuntu] Grub 2 Error 11 - Page 3 - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022594&highlight=grub-pc&page=3)

sudo update-grub2

sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy

sudo update-grub

I found the three above cmds on a thread addressing error 11 on grub2. It did the trick.
Grub2 now works and it recognized my generics.