PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty 9.04 - Creating a Windows 7 Bootable Flash Drive?

chazdraves
August 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Solved by creating the flash drive in Vista on my wife's rig.

----------------

Greetings, guys!

I'm rather curious to try out the Windows 7 Release Canidate on my Aspire One, but I can't find any instructions on how to create a bootable flash drive under Ubuntu... I tried UNetBootin and that laughed at me. I tried (on a whim) the Live USB Drive creator under the System menu and that couldn't believe I was serious. There's got to be a simple Linux solution to this, doesn't there? Or do I need to grab my wife's Vista rig?

Thanks in advance!
- Chaz

mikewhatever
August 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think you are looking at the wrong place and the wrong forum. Can you install any version of Windows from USB media? Can you do it using Linux tools? Sounds odd here.

chazdraves
August 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think you are looking at the wrong place and the wrong forum. Can you install any version of Windows from USB media? Can you do it using Linux tools? Sounds odd here.

Yes, you can install Windows from a flash drive, I just did it :) Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to do it from Linux, so I had to cheat.

If anyone stumbles on this post wondering the same thing, I found my answer here:

http://www.philoking.com/2009/05/18/tutorial-how-to-make-a-bootable-windows-7-install-flash-drive/

Regards,
- Chaz